Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Knoxvegas, TN
    Posts
    19

    Carb help on 94 750

    Finally got the slt running, well at least in the drive way. Took it to the lake this morning and it would not start in the water. Now I know the carbs are clean and have no obstructions and the diagphrams are good. Im wondering if the low and high speed adjustment might cause this? It runs rough dry but I figured the carbs may just need a little adjusting and figured I could do that a little better on the water...


  2. #2
    Carson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    273
    Did you rebuild the carbs? And when your at the lake did you try starting the ski before you are unloading in the water? Like start it up then put it in the water?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Knoxvegas, TN
    Posts
    19
    Yes The carbs were rebuilt. I didn't try having it running while putting it in the water. I did however start it at the ramp unloaded then tried to refire. It would only fire for a brief moment then die. pulled it out brought it home and it fired right up in the driveway.

  4. #4
    is your low speed screws adjusted out enough, sounds like starving for fuel

  5. #5
    Carson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by crustbuster View Post
    is your low speed screws adjusted out enough, sounds like starving for fuel
    If it was starving fuel he wouldn't be able to just fire it up out of water.. Right?

  6. #6
    it runs rough dry, but wont run on the water? head gasket leaking? Did you check compression?

  7. #7
    BlueFishCrisis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Medina, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    4,988
    +1
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by crustbuster View Post
    it runs rough dry, but wont run on the water? head gasket leaking? Did you check compression?
    Not sure what your rpms are, but the idle speed of 1250 rpm is in the water. If you are getting that on the trailer, the load of the water will immediately cut it in half or lower... My skis idle in the mid 2000s out of the water to get the right speed in the water..... If this sounds like the case, crank down that Idle adjustment screw.....

  8. #8
    Carson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    Not sure what your rpms are, but the idle speed of 1250 rpm is in the water. If you are getting that on the trailer, the load of the water will immediately cut it in half or lower... My skis idle in the mid 2000s out of the water to get the right speed in the water..... If this sounds like the case, crank down that Idle adjustment screw.....
    Yes, idle screw could be part of the problem. But if the idle screw was not even screwed in at all, you could still fire up the ski giving it gas with the throttle.

  9. #9
    BlueFishCrisis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Medina, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    4,988
    +1
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Yes, idle screw could be part of the problem. But if the idle screw was not even screwed in at all, you could still fire up the ski giving it gas with the throttle.
    True, if in fact he tried working the throttle to start it....

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Knoxvegas, TN
    Posts
    19
    compression is good in the 120 range on all three cylinders. low speed and high speed screws are set at specs that were found here. I tried working the throttle to get it to start. It acted as if it werent getting fuel but after cranking for a few seconds it would fire and immediately die again. I also have replaced the fuel lines and made sure the factory return restrictor is in place. I also noticed it was wanting to spit fuel back thru the carbs. Does anyone know how much gap there should be on the reeds?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Carb setup on 94 xp, need help please.
    By nathan634 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2011, 03:40 PM
  2. Carb settings on 94 Wave Runner III 700
    By RossM in forum Yamaha Old School Skis
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2010, 06:14 PM
  3. need help with 94 750 ss/xi
    By MO Rider in forum Kawasaki Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-08-2009, 11:41 AM
  4. Carb help on '99 SLX
    By SideFX in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-21-2008, 07:30 PM
  5. Plugs fouling on 94 750 SLT
    By Brad in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 10:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •