Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Question Need Gas in Oil Help, Please - Ultra 250X

Hi Everyone,

I just signed up but have been reading this forum for a long time.

I have a 2007 Ultra 250x. I bought it last year with only 24 hours on it and it was in cherry, showroom condition. It now has 37 hours on it and it has been bulletproof. It runs perfectly and I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever. Took it out last weekend for a 50 miles ride, much of it at 60+ speeds and it didn't miss a beat. I get full boost 11+ pounds, and close to 8000 RPM's wide open, which gives me 65-67 mph. I take immaculate care of it, as did the original owner from whom I bought it.

I've been aware of the gas in oil issue on these since shortly after I bought it, so I monitor that carefully. I took it to my local Kawi dealer for an inspection and oil/filter change at 24 hours when I bought it. I changed the oil again at 27 hours due to strong gas smell. I changed oil and filter again at 35 hours and saved some of the oil in a plastic water bottle.

The other day I found a link on one of the forums for a lab in Indiana that specializes in this kind of stuff and will do an analysis of your oil for $25. Here's a link -- http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

I called them and explained my concern and then sent them the sample I saved. They called me back today and said the oil has 7.3% gas in it!
    They checked their records and have some other 250x tests on file and they were at 3-4%. One of those only had 16 hours on it and was already showing signs of bearing damage, which they detect through metal content in the oil. According to them, anything above 0.2% fuel in the oil is unacceptable and will eventually lead to engine/bearing damage. The gas lowers the viscosity of the oil -- mine was at 20W max on the high end (10W-40 Kawasaki oil). They also test for various metal particles to see if there's any signs of engine damage and mine did not yet have any.

Shortly after I bought the boat I did call Kawasaki about this and they of course told me that this was "normal", they've gotten hundreds of calls about it, and to just change the oil more frequently and not worry about it. The guy actually told me to "drive it hard" and said the problem diminishes after around 50 hours (50 hours for the rings to seat?? - ridiculous). I must say it does seem strange that this problem is so widespread, yet I don't see much on the forums about engine failures as a result of the GIO issue.

In any event, I have been uncomfortable with this issue since I first learned of it. It seems to me to be a ticking time bomb. There shouldn't be any gas in the oil and having it in there destroys the proper lubricating qualities of the oil, and along with it, the engine sooner or later. I don't need a big engine replacement bill (which still won't fix the GIO problem) and worse, I don't need to be out in the ocean and have a rod go south through the crankcase and maybe even punch a hole in the bottom of the hull.

So I would really appreciate the wisdom any of you might share with me as to how valid my concerns are. I love this jet ski but also want some peace of mind. From what I'm seeing in ads on Craigslist, I get the impression jet skis are selling faster and for considerably more money now than they were last September when I bought mine. If this is a heart attack waiting to happen, I'd just as soon sell it and get something else.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to your assistance.

Banned User
    +1
    Change your oil frequently and you will be fine.

+1
    as pointed out i dont recall any engines grenading due to gas in oil, ride your ski to its fullest and forget all about an oncoming heart attack

+1
    I can only add that this was also a concern when I bought mine last September, but a search quickly lead me to the "R&D Ultra 250 Crankcase Ventilation/oil and Vapor Separator Kit" - it has worked very well for me, but be advised that it has been out of production for several months now (even though it is still listed on their website as "now available"). I get about 3 tablespoons of near-pure fuel out of it for every 5-8 hours of riding, depending on how hard it was ridden. Anyway, that combined with oil changes every 15 hours and it is not an issue - I agree with FIRE0021: "Change your oil frequently and you will be fine" - I'm completely stoked with mine.
    W

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ImpactSportsTV View Post
    I can only add that this was also a concern when I bought mine last September, but a search quickly lead me to the "R&D Ultra 250 Crankcase Ventilation/oil and Vapor Separator Kit" - it has worked very well for me, but be advised that it has been out of production for several months now (even though it is still listed on their website as "now available"). I get about 3 tablespoons of near-pure fuel out of it for every 5-8 hours of riding, depending on how hard it was ridden. Anyway, that combined with oil changes every 15 hours and it is not an issue - I agree with FIRE0021: "Change your oil frequently and you will be fine" - I'm completely stoked with mine.
    W
    Thanks a million guys for your replies. I really appreciate it.

Hmmm.....3 tablespoons of gas after 5-8 hours. I had 7.3% after 8 hours. We calculated that out and it comes to almost half a quart of gas in the oil!!

I'm trying to reach R&D to see if their kit is still available. It appears to be buyable on their website. I called at noon and got a recording that I had reached them "after hours". Maybe they're at lunch, since they're here in California, who knows.

That kit is expensive -- $420 plus tax and shipping. It includes a modified, replacement crankcase breather case. I know that case is located on the side of the engine below the intake manifold so all that stuff has to come off to gain access. That's a bigger job than I'm willing to tackle, so add on who knows how much more $$ for labor, too.

I saw a post on another forum from a guy who claims he blocked off the bottom hose from the oil separator canister that goes back to the crankcase, and then added a shut off valve to the canister where the return hose had been. He claims that fixed the GIO issue (and cheaply) but I don't know the ramifications of doing that, even if it works. You have to constantly drain the canister so it doesn't overfill, and you are also preventing oil from returning to the crankcase.

Oh well, I'll let you know what R&D has to say when I reach them.

Thanks

PS -- Maybe humor, maybe not. I think I'll talk to my friends at Tesla Motors. They can use my ski as a prototype electric jetski. Simply put the battery pack where the fuel tank resides, and replace the engine with the electric motor -- it's direct drive all the way so not much of an engineering problem. Same pump, same everything. The Tesla motor would easily fit where the engine goes and take up far less room and weight. You would loose the entire exhaust system, too.
    The Model S can do 0-60 in 4.4 seconds. Imagine what that motor would do in an Ultra hull! It would be scary fast and one charge would last longer than a tank of gas on a 250x, 260x, or 300x. I guess I'm really off on another planet now.

Banned User
    +1
    Just Buy or make a modded catch can no need for the R&D kit by they are there closed on fri just change the oil every 8-10 hrs and your good.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    Just Buy or make a modded catch can no need for the R&D kit by they are there closed on fri just change the oil every 8-10 hrs and your good.
    +1 with changing the oil regular intervals .

and the R&D setup was proven to only do a 50% job , as it still allows some of the collected solids to drain back to the sump, and they over priced

Waz

+1
    First and foremost, I have a TON of appreciation for all 3 of the previous posters, they have contributed in a big way to the success of my 250X through this and other forums. They know their stuff. With that said, I picked up my R&D set up used for $200, I was fine with that, and as I said, the fuel removed varied with how hard I rode - one draining after a lot of WOT runs fetched about a half cup. Even if it isn't 100% of it, I was frankly glad to get that out of the oil, and there is a slight but noticeable increase in bottom and mid-range power. All said, it is worth the $200 to me.

anyone ever actually put a wideband oxygen sensor in the exhaust manifold ??? to see if these engines are running rich? no reason to run these richer than 12:1 AFR......piston temperature should not be an issue in these watercrafts with everything well cooled by water.
    if Kawasaki is using a chromed face top piston ring, they take a while to seat-in fully and seal .

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kawi-fan View Post
    anyone ever actually put a wideband oxygen sensor in the exhaust manifold ??? to see if these engines are running rich? no reason to run these richer than 12:1 AFR......piston temperature should not be an issue in these watercrafts with everything well cooled by water.
    if Kawasaki is using a chromed face top piston ring, they take a while to seat-in fully and seal .
    Yes they have yes 07 are richer then 08 08 has same issue it's just the piston and ring design in the 07-08 260 is better because they warmed up the ski and improved on piston and ring 300 is best so far and they warned the ski up even more to burn all the excess off. Just change the oil frequently Nd you'll be fine if you can find a ocms kit. Cheap then that. Will help a bit to but frequent changes still needed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information