Intermittent spark loss on 95 xp 720

Looking at a ski for a friend that dies intermittently. It ran good on the hose the other day and now it will die randomly. If I hit the start button before it dies it will keep running. I changed out the mpem with a spare I have but It's still doing it. I did change the fuel lines and rebuilt the carbs already since they were never touched in the past. Just looking for suggestions before tearing into it further. Thanks Mike

Wow, 30 views and no replies. I take most don't care for electrical issues like me too.lol

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 470 View Post
    Wow, 30 views and no replies. I take most don't care for electrical issues like me too.lol
    as you changed the cdi and are still having the problem, I'm sure most don't want to get involved in a "bug hunt"...having to hit the start button to keep the engine running is a sign of a bad cdi (..but it's possible that you have a trigger coil issue) . check the stator specs when the engine is hot and again when cold. report results.

+1
    Ohm test on the trigger doesn't always work. Especially on an intermittent problem. I've had a similar problem with a 720 motor before. After the ski died, I had to pull the key and plug it back in to restart but that was with a DESS which you don't have. you'll probably have to remove the trigger and peal back the tape to check for a burnt wire. MPEM grounds out through the trigger I believe so if it's going bad, it will cut the ground to all of the electronics making it look like a bad MPEM. Hope that helps

Testing the generating coil I got 49 ohms(Cold) Still have to do the hot reading. I'm going to pull the flywheel later today to see if there's any filings or shorted wires that could be causing this symptoms. I do have access to a few spare parts for this ski but I don't want to throw parts at it if there not needed.

Well I tested it hot and came up with 69.7 ohm. Tearing into the mag now.

After removing the fly wheel everything looks like brand new. There is also no pickup coil on this model. Everything looks perfect, no filings from the starter,no discolored wires or anything. I guess at this point I will change out the cdi/coil with the one off my ski unless someone has any other ideals.

+1
    95 xp should have a trigger coil unless it's an 800 but you said it's a 720......

Thread Information