newbie owner with a couple ?'s

Hello all, just bought my first ski today. It is a 94 polaris sl750. I have never owned one before and was refered here as i have some probably stupid questions ha.

What is the proper start up? I read something about turning water on, but when i rode it the previous owner never really explained much. All is seen is him turn on the fuel. Under the seat i see a line with a hose connection he said waz for starting out of water, nothing about in water.

I had a compression test done which was 120 120 115. It runs excellent, and seems to be overall good shape.

Just want to make sure all is done proper. Been reading alot this evening, i have had lots of land toys but never a pwc.

Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Do take the time to learn about how these things work and what maintenance they require. My signature links should prove useful.

There is a specific sequence for running the engine with garden hose supplied cooling while on the trailer. Does not apply when it is floating.

Start Sequence- Start engine, then turn on the water. Stop Sequence- turn off the water and then stop engine. RPM will be way higher on the trailer while running on the hose.

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk.

*** edited to update recommended running time on the hose ***

With a good, strong battery in place... first make sure the fuel selector knob is set to 'ON'. Note, it can start with the fuel selector 'OFF' and will use up the gas in the fuel line from selector to pump then die. Then you have to crank a while on the starter to get the fuel lines primed again before it'll start again. Sorta rough on the starter so be sure to turn ON the fuel selector. Next, make sure you put the lanyard key in place (won't start w/o it). Next, if your in the water make sure you pointed in the direction you want to go and in deep enough water for the jet to not start sucking from the bottom... obviously not an issue on the trailer.

On a cold engine, pull the choke out full and press the starter button... while giving it a tad bit of throttle with the other hand. A good running ski should fire up pretty quick and once it catches and starts running you can let off the choke.

You can run a ski out of the water for 30 seconds or so without too much worry. That's not long enough to allow it to get too hot. Like when you hear folks reving their skis on the trailer after they just pulled them out of the water to blow out any excess water out of the waterbox.

You can run a ski out of the water longer if you use a hose. That's what folks mean when they say "on the hose". You hook the hose (will need female-to-female adapter) to the hose connection on the water rail on top of the engine.

First always start the engine with hose OFF, then once engine is running turn on the hose. Don't turn the hose on full blast... maybe half way. Normal water pressure from a house is 55+psi which is more than you need for the engine. As long as you get a good flow coming out the back of the ski when you do this, you should be fine.

Now you can run the engine on the hose for a couple minutes without too much worry. But your jet pump is spinning when the engine is running and because the ski is not in the water, the jet pump is high and dry. As it spins it will start to heat up. Run for too long the jet pump bearings start to get hot (cause there's no water to cool them). I have seen folks hook a hose to the engine and a second hose spraying down the jet pump. In that case, you could run longer. Just make sure nothing else is getting too hot like the through-hull driveshaft seals.

When your ready to be done, first turn OFF the hose... then rev the engine once or twice to help blow out excess water... then turn off the engine. Order to this is important. If you turn on the hose first before starting or turn off the engine before turning off hose... you could potentially flood your engine with water.

Starting your ski in the water is the same... just ignore all the stuff about the hose... and be ready for the ski to start moving as soon as it starts.

Good luck with your new ski. Be sure to read the info in the Polaris knowledge bank... see K447's signature link.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    My only comment would be to limit on the hose operation to two minutes maximum, not ten minutes.

The seal lips (which are rather thin and the most important part of the seal) in the through-hull bearing and inside the jet pump can heat up fairly quickly without direct water contact to keep them cool. Keeping the through-hull bearing well greased can help reduce the heating, of course.

+1
    Thanks for the correction K447! I've edited my post to reflect.
    Cheers!

Thread Information