Polaris SLT 750 Questions & Accomplishments

I have been working on this ski for quite awhile, and want to have it finished by July. I am so close. But before I say I'm finally done, I want to know that I am actually done. So I have a few questions for you guys, and I will list what I have done to this ski.

Accomplishments: Got ski running, compression was good, and the ski seemed fine - out of water. I brought it to the water and tried to get it running, Close but no cigar. So it ended up being the battery just didn't have enough power.

Next test trip to the lake: I got the ski out to the lake and fired up, thinking hell yea. Until I gave it a little throttle, it bogged down and died. It did this everytime you tried to rev it up. Took it home and did research, these skis are KNOWN for piston burn downs. And that was my issue. The PTO cylinder had been starved by the original fuel pump. So I ordered a new fuel pump and piston/cylinder, and installed them

Another trip to the lake: Ran ski about 30 minutes in the water, the ski still bogged down some but did not die. Pulled ski and plug and noticed alot of water in ski, checked hull and found a hole, so I repaired it with a fiberglass kit and rubber spray over top. It worked. Then I rebuilt carbs and cleaned them. Noticed that the exhaust gasket was bad so I will order that tomorrow, along with a fuel gauge/float.

Questions:
    My MFD is not telling me my speed because it is giving me a lowpr or something like that error, along with the red flashing light. Why is it giving me this error.?
    I replaced my fuel lines running to each cylinder but not the ones in the running into tank. Should I replace those?
    I noticed oil in the bottom of my hull, not good. I also noticed a nut missing from my PTO cylinder case, not head. Is this my problem? (Grabbing that part tomorrow also)

Thats it for now! Thanks. If you have any suggestions or tips that would help me in any way, please leave em here!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Um, may I suggest a methodical approach?

These machines are old enough that you cannot assume that anything is still OK. That means lots of checking and thorough investigation. Every bolt, nut, hose and clamp should be eyeballed and checked for tightness, damage, etc.

Jet pump bearings should be checked along with the through-hull drive shaft seals.

LowPr on the MFD display suggests the battery voltage is very weak. These machines require a strong battery. Not just well charged, but actually healthy internally.

You also need to check the battery voltage with engine running. If it is below 13.5 volts then the charging system needs attention.

If there are fuel lines inside that tank then they should be replaced.

Oil leaks are not only messy, it means you may have cracked/aged/damaged or loose oil hoses which put the engine itself at risk.

See my signature links for some common maintenance items and known issues.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Um, may I suggest a methodical approach?

These machines are old enough that you cannot assume that anything is still OK. That means lots of checking and thorough investigation. Every bolt, nut, hose and clamp should be eyeballed and checked for tightness, damage, etc.

Jet pump bearings should be checked along with the through-hull drive shaft seals.

LowPr on the MFD display suggests the battery voltage is very weak. These machines require a strong battery. Not just well charged, but actually healthy internally.

You also need to check the battery voltage with engine running. If it is below 13.5 volts then the charging system needs attention.

If there are fuel lines inside that tank then they should be replaced.

Oil leaks are not only messy, it means you may have cracked/aged/damaged or loose oil hoses which put the engine itself at risk.

See my signature links for some common maintenance items and known issues.
    I forgot to mention the history of this ski. Which involved my Dad and his friend trying to fix this ski, but they never had the time to completely fix it. I know his friend has a boat himself, quite a few bikes, and about eight years over me of working on these sort of things. I contacted him and he said that he had checked the Jet Pump, cut the wires back 1/4 and replaced all the caps. I'll check up on the drive shaft when I get home. As for the MFD, the battery was brand new. I got it last summer, should I try recharging the battery myself? And I've noticed the oil does not lower or leak when the ski is OFF. Could that just mean that nut needs to be replaced, or maybe a gasket is bad?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I forgot to mention the history of this ski. Which involved my Dad and his friend trying to fix this ski, but they never had the time to completely fix it. I know his friend has a boat himself, quite a few bikes, and about eight years over me of working on these sort of things. I contacted him and he said that he had checked the Jet Pump, cut the wires back 1/4 and replaced all the caps. I'll check up on the drive shaft when I get home. As for the MFD, the battery was brand new. I got it last summer, should I try recharging the battery myself? And I've noticed the oil does not lower or leak when the ski is OFF. Could that just mean that nut needs to be replaced, or maybe a gasket is bad?
    I had a LoPwr Message on my MFD that simply required a MFD reset to clear. Mine didn't show this error until I bypassed the oil sender with a resistor... Is your oiling system still fully connected and operating? Only ask because you have burned a piston and have oil in the bottom of the ski......

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I forgot to mention the history of this ski. Which involved my Dad and his friend trying to fix this ski, but they never had the time to completely fix it. I know his friend has a boat himself, quite a few bikes, and about eight years over me of working on these sort of things.

I contacted him and he said that he had checked the Jet Pump, cut the wires back 1/4 and replaced all the caps. I'll check up on the drive shaft when I get home.

As for the MFD, the battery was brand new. I got it last summer, should I try recharging the battery myself?

And I've noticed the oil does not lower or leak when the ski is OFF. Could that just mean that nut needs to be replaced, or maybe a gasket is bad?
    A year old battery is not new, it is a year old. If it is a basic lead acid battery that has been left sitting it would have self-discharged within the first few months, then sat around while fully discharged. The result is typically a battery that is internally degraded and weakened, even after charging.

You may discover the missing nut hiding somewhere in the hull. Under the engine or way back in the hull.

Oil lines that connect between engine feed nipples and the oil pump may not leak much while the engine is just sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    A year old battery is not new, it is a year old. If it is a basic lead acid battery that has been left sitting it would have self-discharged within the first few months, then sat around while fully discharged. The result is typically a battery that is internally degraded and weakened, even after charging.

You may discover the missing nut hiding somewhere in the hull. Under the engine or way back in the hull.

Oil lines that connect between engine feed nipples and the oil pump may not leak much while the engine is just sitting.
    True, and what is the easiest way to search for things in bottom of hull? Magnet ir something?

+1
    True, and what is the easiest way to search for things in bottom of hull? Magnet ir something?
    I use one of those small flexible prong thingys to either snag it or sweep out under the baseplate. The magnet will only work for ferrous metals, so for anything SS, won't help.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    I use one of those small flexible prong thingys to either snag it or sweep out under the baseplate. The magnet will only work for ferrous metals, so for anything SS, won't help.
    Okay I'll try that! Thanks for the tip, still waiting on the Gasket to arrive from Rock County.

Okay I'll try that! Thanks for the tip, still waiting on the Gasket to arrive from Rock County.
    Now the MFD is not waking up?! Any tips sorry for double post.

Thread Information