Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Paint strippers and how to apply them

I'm making this thread to have different ideas, views,opinions and experience with paint strippers when you are stripping exhaust pipes,and other items that have paint on them.

Heres my experience with TAL-STRIP. it comes in a spray can or can. costs about 7.00/ 12 oz spray can. The best way I found to use this stuff us as follows.

Use in direct sunlight when its warm outside. the hotter the better. it makes the gases expand more.

I also discovered if you leave the stripper on for 15- 20 mins with out touching it, it will work the best. thats after the three coats, but dont let it completely dry and get hard on ya. it should be rubbery and dry.

after the 15-20 mins, the top coat so to speak , the stripper will be dry enough to grab onto it lightly and you will be able to pull off big sheets by actually pulling on it and just keep going with it wherever it will take you. if its working as described, you can be pulling on a piece and it will come right off the seam of a weld easily with nothing leftover. awesome!

I have also discovered to spray the areas facing the sun only.

Always apply 3 heavy coats each time. don't be bashful with the stuff. flog it on..

Let it cook a mins or 2 before the 2nd and third coats.

this will create a big ripple effect as 1 giant ripple so to speak. then like i said, wait till the top dries and start raking it off gently to get the 1 big piece idea going.

any real small areas may be picked off by hand. if there is any left anywhere, don't worry about, get it the next blasting.

I also found that when stripping after the first application of 3 coats and you wash it off with water, if you spray again with the water on the pipe, it wont work as good. seems to be a prevention factor there. not really a water thinning thing. its just how it acts .. . kinda weird. so just make sure its completely dry again and in direct warm sunlight. then your good to go.

I'll post a pic tomm and a video of what im talking about on my triples pipes. i'll show you exactly how to get it right the first time. dont be a cheap ass and buy 1 can..lol go for it, you can always return the rest if unused!.

stay out of the way of the spray. it will take your breath away.

use rubber gloves/ this shioplkopo will fucoio;;; your hands up and burn you. hot water is a nono too. it will increase the burn feeling. just do yourself a favor and dont get it on you. ehh go ahead try a lil, you will see what i mean...lol (j/K)

if it gets on your driveway, dont touch it, it just smears into it. let it dry overnight and blow it away with your leaf blower. dont sweep it up. it will break up and go in the holes in the concrete.. can ya tell iv'e used this before???? lol about 15 times or so.. i did a whole 79 Camaro with 15 cans of it!

whose next?

+1
    A thread about strippers.... Now that's what I am talking about!

Banned User
    +1
    I like strippers

+1
    this is the first video.

+1
    No.2

+1
    Heres the last part when you can peel it off in sheets.. not sure whats up with the sound.. youtube issues... I like it how it comes right off the welding seams. last word of caution, dont let it dry completely in the sun, just enough to dry and then peel it off.

Banned User
    +1
    Where do you get that stuff?

+1
    Advance auto parts.

+1
    I have that pipe finished and all painted. it looks bad ass in the sun. The other 2 are almost finished,should be done and painted by tomm. I'll post a video of the one . Although, without the sunlight beating on it, you may not see the whole effect. Thats what makes it pop! "The Chameleon" effect.

its speckle blue and tri- metallic clear. Im going to clear coat them so they look like glass. I'll clear all the parts when I have the other 2 pipes finished. I,m planing on doing the cylinder heads too.

+1
    Heres the finished product. Its way better in bright sunlight. i'll post a vid tomm in the sunlight. It looks greyish - blue and dull but its not.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information