Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

Opinions needed: 2011 VXR or 2011 FZS

Just bought an 08 Kawi STX-15F for $5k for the wife and I'm looking at a VXR or FZS for my toy. I can get either one for $9,500. The VXR includes a few mods, ride plate, intake, bars. FZS is bone stock. Which do you prefer and why? I'm leaning towards the VXR b/c performance is pretty close to the same, fuel consumption is much less, and it should require less maintenance overall. I'm not going to be doing any major upgrades. I like the idea of having forced induction but any time I had it in the past (cars), it always required more maintenance. Plans are ridding in the lakes, pulling tubes, skiers, and occasional use in the ocean. Last time I was riding skis was back in high school, late 90's. Skis have come a long way since then. Thanks!

In your case the vxr. The fz is a better overall ski but if you dont want maint. issues and a good all around ski while getting good gas mileage the vxr will do it. Warning if its even slight chop the ride isnt as nice as on an fz hull. If I knew that before I bought my vxr I would have got the fzr. But no I was bit by the speed bug and the vxr is only going to take you so far(as it stands right now)

+1
    It really depends on your "need for speed" and your interest in wrenching. If you need a ski that you can mod to go faster, faster, faster and are willing to do a lot of wrenching to get there, then the SC'ed platforms are nice especially the FZR. But if you want a good, reliable, good gas mileage ski that will run for a long time without needing maintenance and is no slouch in the speed department, then the VXR is the way to go.

After owning 5-6 SC'ed SeaDoos that were modded out the wazoo, I opted to buy a VXS this time around. This time I want to ride more than wrench and the VXR/VXS platforms are perfect for that.

Even though I own a VXR, in your case I would go with the FZS. You already have a "smoother water" Ski in the 15F so I think you need something a little more robust for your occasional ocean ventures; and the FZS will be better for that than the VXR. I too had the 2008 KAW 15F; it is a decent Ski for what you are intending to do with it.

If that 15F has any appreciable hours on it, I would strongley suggest you upgrade the Pump Bearings / Pump Shaft to 2012 Specs (the Pump Shaft / Pump Bearings from the 2012 15F model).

JB

+1
    I would get the FZ no question for the same money, if the VXR was 1500 less then maybe

there are no real maint issues with either ski when mostly stock you will have several hundred hours of trouble free riding with normal maintiance

+1
    I have one of each...............FZR = beastly quick and fast(stage 2) , very good in the rough , larger hull is more stable and is a very nice ride , more storage front and rear, pretty good on gas if you stay out of boost and holds around 19 gallons.
    VXR = pretty fast (beats rxt 215hp) , not near as smooth in the rough , a little nose bounce on top end , very nimble and light feeling, this is the GPR replacement. vxr will turn circles around FZR. very little storage. great on gas and holds around 16 gallons, tow hook and boarding ladder.

+1
    The thing that no one has mentioned is a VXR will a few mods will likely outrun a stock FZR. With no changes, the VXR is likely the faster ski in this scenario. How many hours are on each?

+1
    As the others said it really comes down to the water conditions that you will be riding in. However I've been riding my VXR in choppy conditions lately with no complaints.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by STUNNA View Post
    As the others said it really comes down to the water conditions that you will be riding in. However I've been riding my VXR in choppy conditions lately with no complaints.
    The same for me. I always wonder what makes one ski theoretically better in the chop. I've had a lot of skis that are supposedly bad in the chop and thought they were fine. I like my VXS in the chop, it hooks up enough for me to scoot across there at WOT when needed which is all I ask of a ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    The same for me. I always wonder what makes one ski theoretically better in the chop. I've had a lot of skis that are supposedly bad in the chop and thought they were fine. I like my VXS in the chop, it hooks up enough for me to scoot across there at WOT when needed which is all I ask of a ski.
    Chop is fine. Bigger traffic induced wakes and other makes the vxr a bad ride/ A lake with slight chop is no problem. Up here on the great lakes and the rivers here a fzr is leagues better due to the hull and I assume the extra weight and trim.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information