Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

"The Alaskan Wet Dog"

WOW! Rumor has it that after nearly 2 years in the permitting process, and over 7 years in the planning process, the Division of Natural Resources in Alaska is going to issue a race permit. This is a huge step for this race! Congratulations to John and his team for trying to do everything right. Permitting in this environmentally sensitive area has been a huge hurdle to overcome. If all goes as planned this race is going to be the adventure of a lifetime! Please send some positive words if you have them. If not you know what to do.....

http://redoubtreporter.wordpress.com...s-up-planning/

Banned User
    +1
    Very cool. I'd do the race if it happens

+1
    35,000 per person wow. Nice post

Homer, AK, D.F., MEX., Now San Antonio, TX
    +1
    I came to this section to post this very thing... FINALLY! John got it done, Hurrah!
    What's this about the fact that it may be put off another year (they must be trying to age me out of contention!)?
    If you are planning to do it, contact John soon. They are going to limit the entrants to 500 teams, last I heard. $35,000 is not a lot for this as the logistics are daunting, the permitting is daunting, the whole task is a monumental undertaking that has consumed John Lang for years. You'all should hear the tree-huggers fighting this every step of the way - YET THE MAN GOT IT DONE!
    Figure $100 grand plus per team to be real about this. You'll never get it done on a shoestring so don't try. The race does not pay for pit crew nor airfare nor fuel in between 180 miles on two of the long legs.
    Find yourself some shitty water and get some practice - Austrailians, go to Tazmania. Californians, go north of Point Conception in winter. Havasu guys, etc., bring Depends - you're gonna need 'em when you see what you are up against (seriously, if you don't have significant ocean experience, you are kidding yourself). Some of the guys I know that will do this event are some of the most bad-ass snowmachiners in the world and some of them know MY waters. Competition will be intense but this forum is the home of "intense" by the talk I hear - COME ON!!!
    http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...ed-gulf-alaska

Yeah John has been working really hard almost obsessively on this race.

The knuckleheads from The Deadliest Waters TV show are not helping at all! They have been encroaching on sea life with their watercraft. Some of the sea life is approaching the endangered species list and these idiots are riding up to them and filming it for their show! John has been working with every agency in the state to secure safe operating permits for the AK Wetdog Race. It is an environmentally sensitive area and green agencies are looking for any reason possible to stop this race. These idiots come out of know where to make a TV show and may very well screw it up for everyone. They are operating their crafts illegally, and promoting a very bad image, then playing it on national TV. I can't believe SEADOO is actually sponsoring these guys. This is not the image they want or need. If anyone has contact for top brass at Bombardier please send it to me.

Thanks

My guess would be summer of 2014. That leaves next summer for teams to gear up and train, course officials to complete the course, and secure funding. Teams would need 2 years to prepare once a target date is set.

I have no say in the race just purely speculation.

+1
    Is it "Dangerous Waters" you are referring to? "Deadly" whatever is different knuckleheads, I think. Do you have some vid of these guys encroaching so that I can discuss with first-hand knowledge? What are they doing - approaching rookeries? They will get their asses in a ringer if there is published vid of this. A boat in Seward just paid big time for this very thing. All you have to do is forward an URL of the You Tube to NMFS if it's lions. Whales are also NMFS. Otters and birds are USFW, I think. None of those are as big of deal as lions as sometimes there is no direction you could go to get away from them...(That would certainly be my defense if a few hundred humpbacks were around me)
    One of the radio talk show hosts (Rick Rydell?) was talking about it the day approval came and was very negative, IMO. I just caught a few breaths of it and am not sure which guy on 650AM... talkin about all the money John Lang would make "at Alaska's expense", I believe is how he worded it. I just wonder... if it is "at Alaska's expense" why are communities along the path bending over backwards to accommodate the race? Even the loons in my town of Homer are having second thoughts.
    About the Kenai Mayor. I believe he is mistaken about skis on the Kenai. The Kenai Special Management Area (SMA) applies from four miles above the mouth on upstream in certain areas. If he wants to miss out on the action, the conservative citizenry of Kenai will line him out, I'm sure. Imagine the mayor telling the hotels "No, you can't fill up your rooms for a couple of weeks in the shoulder season"! This notion has got to be a non-issue.
    Mentzel, are you on the course? You posted the Redoubt, so I'm guessing you are down here somewhere.

+1
    Post often guys, I've been enjoying the history of this story.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mentzel View Post
    My guess would be summer of 2014. That leaves next summer for teams to gear up and train, course officials to complete the course, and secure funding. Teams would need 2 years to prepare once a target date is set.

I have no say in the race just purely speculation.
    Funny, because that is the length of time I will have been preparing my team - I would find it extremely equalizing and not particularly fair to put it off another year when John told me @ May 1, 2013 and we were just about to drop money on our second race ski and tear into it (waiting until '13 models come out in case anything new is killer). Depending on elections this fall, might have to put it on hold a lot longer and the further something is in the future, the more risk there is. I think it would be a grave error to postpone but I guess we should consider anything we do now practice skis...

+1
    It actually was not Rick Rydell but Mike Porcaro who was bleating about the Wet Dog Race. He's the same one who goes over the top in public personal attacks on Sarah Palin because she bested him in some contest years ago. Consider the "50,000 watt blow torch" source.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information