MSX 140 2003 will crank will not start

Hello all
    New Member and new owner of 2 MSX 140s 2003s ...

Bought these off craigslist for a steal bc one had issues .. prior owner was up front on it .. here is the deal

MSX 140 #1 .. prior owner said his kid hooked up battery reversed ... blew the 15a fuse ... they replaced fuses and tried to tinker with it but would not start after that .. issue in a nut shell ..

info on MSX 140 #1 39.9 hours on eng ..
    Display works will cycle through the diff screens.. no red light or any warnings from what I can see ..
    will crank .. will not catch and start .. does NOT blow any fuses ...
    For sanity level replaced all fuses 2,15 15 ..
    Checked voltage at Fuel Pump getting 12v
    will try and get a gage tomorrow and see what pressure I am getting during cranking ... (more to come on this)

fuel tank is 1/3 full
    no idea how old fuel is

I have read a post here on someone reversing the polarity on a battery and poss damaging the starter silonoid and that the eem is protected from this type of "fubar" ... so I took known good starter silonoid from MSX 140 #2 and installed it ... same results .. would crank but not start ..

Need help .. these are the first pwc's I have ever owned / tried to work on .. tools equipment are limited ... ie compression gages have none ... code reader none .. (at least for a pwc have one for auto )
    I do how ever enjoy a challenge and getting dirty so not a issue there .. I did down load and print a Polaris service manual has ruffly 180ish pages .. will keep reading it .. hope yall can point me in the right direction ..

Thanks in advance

EDIT: also want to add that it seems that NO ONE in Austin Tx will touch these with a 10' pole .......

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome.

So both MSX 140 have the same symptom of crank but no start?

Only one machine had battery polarity reversed, or did this happen to both?

See my signature links for some baseline information.

Let each machine sit untouched for more than five minutes, with lanyard in place, ready to start. Then press start button and hold for a few seconds. Does the NGI display 'wake up' as soon as the engine starts cranking?

K447
    Thank you for the reply ... no MSX 140 #1 is the only problem child .. MSX 140 #2 starts like a champ right off .. no issues at all ..

will try MSX #1 sit untouched for the 5 min like you suggested ... if my memory serves me correctly yes I believe the NGI does wake up .. but I will try again and ensure ...

+1
    With one machine operational you have the ability to swap selected parts to help narrow the diagnosis

My guess is that you will find low voltage on the white/red injector power feed wires.

See my signature links for more info and Ficht diagnostics.

Update ... Checked voltage to the injectors getting 25v during cranking ....

trying to test fuel pressure .. thought I knew how .. but not getting a psi reading during cranking ... o psi .. on MSX#1 .. so for kicks hooked up gage to MSX 140 # 2 ... expected to get the noted 20 psi .. but no .. still no psi reading .. I hooked into to the Tee .. fuel bubbled out from adapator ... but no psi .. what am I missing ...

also for kicks .. replaced all plugs with spec plugs ...

Tried priming ports with little gas ... tried to start .. back fired .. would not start still ...

+1
    Voltage check was with all injectors still plugged in?

Fuel pump only runs when EMM thinks the engine is actually rotating. The EMM watches the stator inputs then wakes itself up, wakes up the display and engages the fuel pump.

On a good machine you should see fuel pressure jump up almost instantly after the engine begins cranking. Make sure your pressure tester is actually depressing the center pin inside the schrader valve.

Edit: You can firmly clamp flat the fuel return hose between schrader valve and tank. If that causes fuel pressure to jump up then fuel pressure regulator has probably fallen off inside the pump.

Correct spec spark plugs are not an option on Ficht engines, they are mandatory.

Mine and my brother's ran with gauge said 0 pressure.(snap on gauge). Regulator had fallen off. Installed Kawasaki inline regulator and had correct fuel pressure.

You can't beat this site for tech. Info. It's unreal how much tech is posted to solve issues.

sorry have not updated as I have not had time to continue to work on the skis ...

will double check fuel pressure today on ski # 1
    need to know how to check for "spark" if someone could explain how .. would be thankful
    also K447 how do you test the red/white injector voltage while all 3 plugs are connected? want to check that as well....
    also would a bad TPS cause these issues ... if so how do I test for that? ...

side note last weekend took out ski #2 ran good ... idle was at 1150-1200 .. seemed a little rough but could be just not accustomed to these skis .. top rpm was 6500 simi calm lake not glass but not choppy .. seemed to run great ... as always thanks in advance

EDIT : Tried to start ski 1 today with fully charged batt with TPS unhooked. While cranking was watching the RPMs .. they were over 100+ then hit 300 and ski backfired .. so I stoped .. starting to feel its a bad EMM ... ski will crank and then back fire one time .. no matter if the TPS is hooked up or unhooked.... sigh .. running out of ideas ..

When you check your fuel pressure and if the gauge reads 0 pinch the return line and pressure goes up to 20-30lbs regulator has fallen off.

+1
    Backfiring often indicates EMM trouble.

Thread Information