+1

2003 XLT1200 Mod Advice (pics inside)

Hey guys. I've been following the forum but this is my first post! I've done everything to my ski by searching this forum over the past two years, but I feel it is time to join the fun..

I have a 2003 XLT 1200 that I bought 2 years ago with 90 hours on it 100% bone stock. It is in great condition. So far I have added the R&D ride plate, intake grate, ppk, D-plate with chip, 12/18 prop, and my own free-flow mod. I also have a set of spark plugs in there that I indexed and side-gaped (no difference btw..).

The ski is running great and now has 165 hours on it. Compression is 100-110 in all cylinders and will top out around 62mph GPS running on fumes.

I really like this hull and would like to keep it for a little longer. I mostly ride in boat infested chop here in Jersey and like to jump waves. Occasionally I will head out for some glassy water pulls but that bores me quick.

I would like to add some more modification to this ski, but also keep it as reliable as it has been for me thus far. I am looking at the holeshot kit since the water box fills up so fast I can't get a good jump off the line when racing some of my buddies that have similar top end as me. This will probably be my next step if you guys agree it is worth the time.

While I have the exhaust off again, I would like to tweak the carb settings and modify the stock air box. Can someone recommend what to do here? I don't want to have to mess with pop-off pressure or anything like that, just dial in the needles some to better suit my mods.

Higher compression heads? Worth it? Safe? What cc kit? I can run 93 octane highest. Also, how much life does my motor have? Or is that kind of a loaded question? Wondering if I should just consider pistons/rings soon to be safe...

Island cut rideplate? I know it is good for top end, but do I want this for choppy conditions/turning ability?

For sponsons I am running a set of factory GPRs stepped with the rear holes plugged with some JB-weld. I kept breaking the stock sponsons jumping waves and this was a cheap alternative and actually handles pretty good! Stepping these seems to have helped me get out of the hole quicker and limit the proposing problem I used to have, but sometimes the pump still unloads and the race is lost at that point...I plan to live with this but any suggestions are welcomes here.

Sorry for the long post. I appreciate any feedback/advice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2361.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	239.8 KB 
ID:	274663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6151.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	274664   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6347.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	240.1 KB 
ID:	274665   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4964.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	274666  

+1
    My 04 XLT was running the same stuff and bout where yours is, but I had a cut head for 140 psi compression. Over the winter I angle cut an R&D ride plate to get more angle(around 5 deg), added a 5 deg GRP pump nozzle, an angled pump cone that I had laying around, and F/A's with the jetting changes recommended by O-Side Bill, and reed stuffers. I know, too many mods at once, but it really woke it up so much I am going to go up on impeller.

60% of the time, it works every time.
    Man, you guys are running some great speeds. LT1, you're making me think I need to get out and tweak my setup a little bit. Mods seem pretty similar but I havent done anything with the head. What prop you running right now? haha, you have me a little green right now. :P

2003 xlt 1300 EFI lowell ported.......73mph;0)
    It bested 74.5 I believe when it had the carbs......Leo did the run.

+1
    12/18 running this morning at 7450 rpm. GPS last week was 68+ but that does seem high to me. But even by the stock speedo its 6 mph faster than before. Going to try the old 13/19 off my GPR shortly. I have a 14/20 Dynafly and big hub pump, but not sure its worth it on an XLT. Anybody else get gains on an XLT with the big hub pump?
    Quote Originally Posted by upgraded View Post
    Man, you guys are running some great speeds. LT1, you're making me think I need to get out and tweak my setup a little bit. Mods seem pretty similar but I havent done anything with the head. What prop you running right now? haha, you have me a little green right now. :P

+1
    Join a forum and the fun begins! What would you guys do to my ski to get it to hit around 65mph?

+1
    Bumpin it to first page. No suggestions? You guys have more work done than I am ready to do in one shot. Baby steps here... Holeshot kit for, well, holeshot...but what shall I do while I have the exhaust out again? I am looking for 3mph anyway possible.

Thanks!

Thread Information