95 sl 750 running hot

I got my ski in the water today for the first time after rebuild and it i drove it down for about 5 min and took the seat off and it was real hot to touch what should i do please help thanks.

I have read about people taking the thermostat out just as long as the water temp is not around 60 I live in IL and go on the river the water temp is about 70 to 75

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny7 View Post
    I have read about people taking the thermostat out just as long as the water temp is not around 60 I live in IL and go on the river the water temp is about 70 to 75
    What is the temp? Does water sizzle when sprinkled on? What makes you think it is running too hot? Do you have an MFD that is showing a high temp error? I would pick up an IR thermometer and see what the readings are....

I am not sure what the temp was, my MDF is not working I have been trying to get a new one but cant find any there is no sizzle, but after it was running for a few min in the water you could not put your hand on any part of the engine it was way to hot I didn't want to take any chances so I just put it back on the trailer.

+1
    Thermostat is at end of your water rail.

If your riding in water that is 60F or more just remove it

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny7 View Post
    I am not sure what the temp was, my MDF is not working I have been trying to get a new one but cant find any there is no sizzle, but after it was running for a few min in the water you could not put your hand on any part of the engine it was way to hot I didn't want to take any chances so I just put it back on the trailer.
    You can remove the thermostat, but that will not necessarily fix your issues. Assuming it is in fact overheating, you need to check all of your cooling passages. Check the inlet screen in your jet pump for clogging, check the water tube from the jet pump to the inside of the hull, and check that all lines are clear. You can flush the ski using a flush kit - this must be done with the motor running. You can also check the proper operation of your thermostat by putting in a pot of water and heating until it opens. I do not recall the proper set point for these t stats....... I have two 750s both with the stats in place running properly......

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    First off, the thermostat will not cause an overheat issue. It's purpose is to get the engine up to operating temp and keep it there (143* is ideal temp, thermostat is rated at 145*)

Once you increase speed and pump pressure increases, the pop off valve inside the water bar will open allowing cooling water to flow.

So he either has a pop off valve sticking, (which is common as the plastic "corners" wear) a clogged inlet screen, clogged internal cooling passages, or a kinked or damaged cooling hose.

Banned User
    +1
    The popoff valve could be sticking or worn to the point it gets cocked in the opening, not allowing it to move. Check and replace as necessary. They are only about 4 bucks new from Polaris. I always have a few on hand just in case.

I got the popoff valve out and two of the four sides are real worn down. I am going to get a new one and hope that fixes it. the spring and everything else looks good in there

I need to check the thermostat while i have it out and make sure it is working right

where can I get the popoff valve?????

Thread Information