Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Carb and Engine removal on 1200 xl limited

Picked up a 2000, 1200XL Limited 30+ hours on new engine. Found through earlier post I have a lean runaway (nr 2 cyl) and will listen to recommendations to pull and pressure check/leak check the engine. I would think now is a good time to rebuild the carbs since they will be off. Anyone know of a good total rebuild kit, not sure which carb I have 44mm? How about pre mix vs oil inject? If I go pre mix will I have to re-jet? What will the mixture rate be? Since the engine is out is there anything else I should do...I'm trying to keep it stock. Are there any tricks/special tools needed to take out the engine. I rebuilt a YZ125 about 25 years ago but never anything like this. If this is a complicated removal process please let me know. Sorry about all the questions and I appreciate the help and advice.

+1
    Welcome, get waveeater clips, remove cat. Conv. Add d plate and temp sensor chip, pre mix for a few reasons, re jet with osidebills recomendatios add flame arrestors, thats a good start. the hardest part i think is not having lots of space to work with, its a lot like a 125 just add two more cylinders not hard at all but a pain in the but to work on.

+1
    Use genuine Mikuni rebuild kits.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Use genuine Mikuni rebuild kits.
    +1. If you need a pdf of the shop manual for the XL1200 Ltd, pm me your email and I'll send it to you. Cheers, Dave.

Dave thanks for the offer but thankfully I did get it on CD from the original owner. I tried to do a compression test today but believe I had a bad tester. I loaned one from AutoZone and neither of my jet ski’s nor my quad had any pressure according to this compressor tester kit. So off to sears to get one tmw. I followed the procedures I found on the site here. Remove the plugs, grounded the wires, throttle wide open, charged the battery full, screwed the compression tester in and turned the motor over. If I have missed a step for a XL 1200 Limited please let me know or if anyone has any tips. Thanks to all who have offered advice.

+1
    Sounds like you did the test correctly. Must be a bad gauge.

Bought a new compression tester today and here are the results. I ran these tests twice. On the 1200 XL Limited the Nr 1 cyl = 125/125, Nr 2 cyl 127/127 and Nr 3 cyl 130/129. I read a lot of old threads and everyone seems to say the pressure test should be 120 or within 10% of each other. I’m not sure why I am reading high. I ran the same test on the XL 800 and got the following numbers. Nr1 cyl 128/128 and Nr 2 cyl 128/129 again I have read they should be around 120. So is this a problem with the numbers being high? The tester was a mid-range one from Sears about 65 bucks, maybe its off? If these seem ok then I guess it off to rebuild the carbs and leak test to get to the bottom of the lean runaway.

+1
    Sounds great!! Maybe its an milled head?? But anyways who cares compression looks good proceed with build good luck I just bought two 1200's a couple of years ago and because of this forum and a good buddy over at WFO aka rich... I build my wifes 1200 from scratch and she's purrs like a kitten!!

+1
    agreed. Sounds like the compression is good

Thanks for the info wake junky. This engine has 30+ hours on it but I cant find out where it was bought or if he did the work (although his daughter said it was bought) as the guy who did the work passed. It appears the head bolts were taken off by the missing paint on the corners of each bolt. Also, the 800xl has what looks to be brass head bolts not painted. I’m guessing it the 66v engine in the 1200 although I cant find any makings. Also, what type carbs were on your 1200? If I recall I’ve seen SBN, SBN-I among others on the site. I’d like to order the rebuild kits but still not sure what carb I am looking at.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information