To much is never enough Badvgood's Avatar
    +1

2004 RXP - History unknown, what to do first to prevent damage

Hi All,

Just picked up a 2004 RXP with no history at all. It starts and runs fine.

Reading lots of other threads the two things I have picked up is supercharger washers and exhaust valves.

My plan is pull the SC off and see what washers are fitted. In the ideal world I am hoping to find intact ceramic washers. This way I will know they are not floating around the engine somewhere!

More likely I think I will find metal washers and will not know if someone has just repaired the ski on the cheap and removed all the old broken up ceramic washers. If this is the case I understand that there are two oil strainer mesh areas that can be checked for any signs of broken up ceramic washers.

Can you get to these without the removal of the engine?

Also I will be checking the exhaust valves for the number stamped on the top once the rocker cover is removed. If I have the old type, I would like to replace them. Again, can the head be removed with the engine in situ or is is easier to remove the head with the engine out?

Any info from those of you that have done this many times would be great including other weak areas on this engine year.

Thanks BVG

+1
    you can get the the front oil strainer fairly easy but you need to drain the oil first. It would probably be a good idea to send the charger to Jerry for a fresh rebuild so you know its done right. The rear strainer you have to remove the PTO. Its a bit more difficult and you have to remove the driveshaft and take out a TON of bolts lol. First winter I would pull the head and buy new ferrea valves and send your head and the new valves to someone like speedfreeks and or slow 91 (both forum members) to install them and clean up the head. This would also be a good time purchase and have them install the supertech valve spring kit etc in case you plan on upping the RPMS.

+1
    flywheel bolts are a problem on 04 and 05's. also check your bailer tubes

+1
    Sending stuff across the pond to the USA is expensive from the UK, so as much as I would love to use Jerry's services I wont be able to!

I have now checked the exhaust valves, they are the old type so I am going to pull the head off and replace them before they break. I just have a feeling they will break if I don't replace them. The ski had been sitting outside for a while and I doubt it was cared for much before being laid up!

Taking the head off in situ - What is best to do? Remove the head with the inlet / exhaust manifolds still attached? Remove one or both of them before removing the head?

Cam timing chain, the sprocket that is on the end of the camshaft is on a dowel I take it? What is best to do, remove the cam position sensor, undo the three retaining bolts and support the chain and sprocket as one, taking care not to move the position of the sprocket on the chain?

Any info from those in the know would be great.

Thanks BVG

+1
    at the minimum take off the intake manifold

+1
    Are all the bolts on top of the inlet manifold to release it from the head or are there some hidden ones underneath?

Also what was the issue with flywheel bolts on this year?

+1
    In some cases the bolts would shear off of the fly wheel. I would highly suggest getting a service manual

+1
    Take the intake manifold off and the exhaust manifold off. Most likely you will be sending the head somewhere anyways.

Congrats on a great find its going to be a fun job. you can down load a manual from a couple of sites. If the washers for the sc are still in place and are in good shape leave the motor in. If there not pull the motor. be sure to replace all of your bolt for the head and rocker arms the book says to measure the head bolts to see if they are with in spec but its just as easy to replace them. p.s go ahead and buy the cam and crank locking tools you will need them.

Thread Information