06-17-2012, 02:06 PM #1
1998 gp 1200 cranks but wont start
hello, need some help asap
just got my gp1200 summerized and ready for the lake, so i tought id give it a clean wash and topped it off with yamalube oil, but being an idiot it overflowed lol
so now my hull is full of oil inside, so i tought to just open the drain plugs and flush it out, so i placed the hose at the bottom of the hull and just sprayed the oil out of there with very little pressure.
now before i did all this the jestski was working and working perfectly, but after i washed the inside of the hull i packed everything up and i put it back into the garage
the next day i tried to run the jetski but wont start, it cranks but just wont start even changed the spark plugs, but noticed i had a very weak spark on all three
so i dont know if maybe i wet something or moisture build up
any help would be much apprechiated
06-17-2012, 02:34 PM #2
You said it yourself, probably water somewhere it shouldnt be. ( check coils/connections etc )
Dont wait to long, check airfilters, dry them and ride asap to prevent other damage
May use compressed air or blower, keep seat off until you find the problem.
06-17-2012, 02:44 PM #3
take off the seats and the buckets out and let the thing air out a bit too. If you're sure its spark related (and not fuel related) and you suddenly have weak spark after washing things down, check the stator wiring and connections for corrosion. Maybe go through the stator ohmmeter tests.
06-17-2012, 02:48 PM #4
06-17-2012, 03:05 PM #5
so let me get something straight
lets say something is wet, wires, coils or etc would that be the cause of weak spark or maybe it shouldnt spark at all?
just trying to learn more
im blowing each wire connector with air and pllugging them back in as we speak
06-17-2012, 03:59 PM #6
Yes, that could cause a weak spark ( insulation is bad/leaking ), and yes, its in the electrical box ( follow sparkplug wires back )
06-17-2012, 04:18 PM #7
only asking is coz thats where i placed the hose to flush out the oil
because i cant recall of wetting the electrical box and wires
thanks again for ur help guys
06-17-2012, 04:48 PM #8
The stator is inside the front cover and the wires come out of the top of it. Its all sealed so it should really be affected but its possible. Are you sure its spark related and not fuel like maybe you left the fuel selector off?
06-18-2012, 02:54 AM #9
06-18-2012, 12:33 PM #10
- Join Date
- May 2012
While riding yesterday the rubber coupling that connects to the stinger blew off (i forgot to tighten it) and sprayed water all through the hull over everything right as I was cruising at 72mph and it bogged down to 4mph and i limped my way to the closest dock. Took the seat off and saw the water and said oh crap, its done. Then I saw the coupler off, put it back on nice and tight which took about 20 mins because It was in the water and it was choppy as hell. Fired it up and it took a second to clear out but then ended up being perfectly fine so I'm assuming water got to the plugs in one way or another, not completely shutting me down but I couldn't go more than idle. The same thing will happen when you get a car or trucks distributor wet. It will miss, pop and carry on until she dries out. HOPEFULLY your will come back to life for you very soon. Make sure the battery is fully charged because if I'm not mistaken this will affect spark energy before the ski is running.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)