Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bad day at the lake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I was out riding my 97 xp when all of a sudden it bogged down and died. After I was towed back to my trailer I pulled the plugs out and I see that both plugs gaps are closed all the way and one has metal shavings melted to it. I got home and unbolted the head and saw that both pistons are pitted. Im a diesel mechanic so Im not sure if this is something I can rebuild myself or if its best to buy a already built engine. Any help would be awsome, thanks.

Do you still have grey fuel lines? When was the last time you cleaned the carbs?

from a price stand point - it is cheaper to purchase the need parts and do the labor yourself..

I am by far no expert hell I hardly know what Im talking about but you should take a look at re-boring your cylinders and moving up one size in your pistons. Your ability to do this is highly dependent on your ski and engine type.

But take a look into that.

Rochester NY
    My day was worse! Check my newest thread.

hopefully it was only my top end thats messed up, How do I know if my crankcase is bad as well?

Quote Originally Posted by rotaryfc View Post
    hopefully it was only my top end thats messed up, How do I know if my crankcase is bad as well?
    you'll have to split the cases and thoroughly inspect and clean them and the crank/CB/rotary system.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    bet the crank is gone........

Are there any "how to's" on engine removal? Im gonna try and pull it out today and see what Im working with.

Puerto Rico
    Not to hard to do.

Disconcet the battery, Remove the air box and carbs. (5mm & 6mm allen screws) ,Disconect the fuel lines and oil lines from the engine (there are two lines) Disconect the stator plug (front of the engine ) water lines on the rear off the cylinders, also the ones on top of the head (be sure to remember position ) remove the exhaust pipe (try to take it in one piece trust me) loose the clamp on the PTO (rear shaft that goes to the impeller ) Remove the bolts from the engine mounts. That sgould be it.

Guys correct me if wrong. Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information