+1

951 wont turn over

So my best friend has a 2000 RX and this season it doesnt want to turn over at all. I've been over to help him and it seems to me like the motor is locked up because we can't turn the motor over by hand, it wont even budge with the spark plugs out. I've tested his battery and its good so I know thats not the issue, Ive been out of the two stroke game for awhile so I'm looking for some of your guys's advice on his next move. Pull the head and see if its frozen up or should he pull the starter?

Forever helping friends

+1
    Pull the pump first to see if the pump is locked up or the motor is locked up.

If it's the motor pull the RAVE valves out and have a look down the slot or pull the head.

if the pump is not the issue - water a rust has more then likely done the bottom end in..

Def check the pump first

+1
    Yeah sorry guys I forgot to mention that the first thing I did was pull the pump to make sure it wasnt the pump locking it up. Okay thats what I told him to do, thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by KYHI View Post
    if the pump is not the issue - water a rust has more then likely done the bottom end in..
    +1, if you can even turn it over manually its most likely seized in the bottom end. Time for a complete engine rebuild.

+1
    Grab it from the PTO and feel if it turns even if is a less than 1/4 of turn. This will give you and idea if is seized on the top end or the bottom. IMO pull the head (no to dificult) and take a look.
    Here in the island we dont have cold weather but if not clean properly or the craft got fliped and flood the engine ,salt water not been completely removed can casuse engine seizure.

That's part of the fun. Cheers..!!

+1
    Yeah i tried to spin it by the PTO and it wouldnt budge at all. I told him i thought it was probably locked up so now hes going to pull the head and tell me what he sees.

pull the motor and pull the reed block to look at the underside (bottom end) of the piston..

It is also easier to pull the motor to work on it - although the head can off in the body - the jugs get a little tricky..

Just pull the motor - it will have to come out anyway...

Before you pull the head remove the starter motor too as on my XPL it also locked up the entire thing.....

Thread Information