Newb looking in PWC and curious about things

Hello,
    I'm a noob to pwcs. I want to get on one or some. I am 6'5 275. I want a ski that can pull me and my petite woman, and maybe a rafter and have plenty of power. I would do alot of fresh water as to what is around me and the occasional salt water. I have been looking at the yammy fx sho/ho, and the vx deluxe. I also have seen alot of Sea Doo's but EVERY1 tells me they are not reliable or dependable, and it would almost be a waste of money for me to purchase for what I want. I have been keeping my eye on them, seems like a great deal for 6k. I would do the normal riding in fresh water, and maybe some travel. Ft. Lauderdale to bahamas here and there and riding around the keys, Please recommend what the best ski would be and what the most dependable ski for me would be. BTW is it just the Yammy's that get the tall rooster tail in the water or do all ski's do?

Thanks for you input and help
    Elroy

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Look into the kawi skis, the new ultra is something else. What type of budget are you looking at?

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboyelroy View Post
    Hello,
    I'm a noob to pwcs. I want to get on one or some. I am 6'5 275. I want a ski that can pull me and my petite woman, and maybe a rafter and have plenty of power. I would do alot of fresh water as to what is around me and the occasional salt water. I have been looking at the yammy fx sho/ho, and the vx deluxe. I also have seen alot of Sea Doo's but EVERY1 tells me they are not reliable or dependable, and it would almost be a waste of money for me to purchase for what I want. I have been keeping my eye on them, seems like a great deal for 6k. I would do the normal riding in fresh water, and maybe some travel. Ft. Lauderdale to bahamas here and there and riding around the keys, Please recommend what the best ski would be and what the most dependable ski for me would be. BTW is it just the Yammy's that get the tall rooster tail in the water or do all ski's do?

Thanks for you input and help
    Elroy
    I think the best all around ski for you is the Yamaha FX SHO or the FX HO. They are very stable for two riders and have a very good track record for dependability. If you're looking for pre-owned, look for a used model with low hours and an extended OEM warranty. Yes the spray in the back is a Yamaha exclusive feature designed to increase visibility for safety on the water; however you can easily remove it if so desired. Stop over at the Yamaha 4 stroke section and poke around for more info.

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    For your size and if you want to tow, I would not get the VX if you want some semblance of speed.

FX HO, and no supercharger to worry with, plenty strong and dependable with low maint, plugs and oil changes yearly.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    I think the best all around ski for you is the Yamaha FX SHO or the FX HO. They are very stable for two riders and have a very good track record for dependability. If you're looking for pre-owned, look for a used model with low hours and an extended OEM warranty. Yes the spray in the back is a Yamaha exclusive feature designed to increase visibility for safety on the water; however you can easily remove it if so desired. Stop over at the Yamaha 4 stroke section and poke around for more info.
    Quote Originally Posted by carguy89 View Post
    For your size and if you want to tow, I would not get the VX if you want some semblance of speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by 123456 View Post
    FX HO, and no supercharger to worry with, plenty strong and dependable with low maint, plugs and oil changes yearly.
    These are all good suggestions. In regards to your question about Sea Doo reliability, many may argue that the Sea Doo machines have many more quirks and features which means they have more of a chance of issues. Personally, I feel as though they aren't as reliable as a Yamaha or Kawasaki machine while they do have many more excellent features.

Thread Information