Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31
  1. #1

    Noob, is yammy the most dependable

    Are yammy's the most dependable out of all ski's? Im trying to figure out which is the best for me. Im a noob. I have been turned on by the SHO/HO or the vx deluxe. But dont know which is the right one. Im 6'5 and 275. I want plenty of power to tow a tuber and myself. I would do mainly fresh water and the occasional salt water. Please let me know. Is the rooster tails of yammy the only pwc that is like it is?
    If I do not get the yammys I will be purchasing the Sea Doo RTX and GTX but I keep hearing horror stories of how undependable in salt they are and very expensive. Please fill me in with info and the best type of boat for me. Im not looking to mod and all out race, just to get out every now and then. And some cruising.

    Thanks ahead for the advice


  2. #2
    infamous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,036
    +1
    336
    Look into the VXS its a great ski and very dependable, especially if you ride on less choppy water. And yes only Yamaha's have the "rooster tail" spray.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by STUNNA View Post
    Look into the VXS its a great ski and very dependable, especially if you ride on less choppy water. And yes only Yamaha's have the "rooster tail" spray.
    I was figuring that. But the thing is I plan on going into some choppy water from time to time. I plan on going down south and riding over to the bahamas here and there. Thats y I was asking is the Fx the way to go or what? IS the yammy more dependable than the sea doo?

  4. #4
    Kelly_A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central Oklahoma
    Posts
    660
    +1
    17
    Yes, overall, Yamaha is more dependable than sea doo.
    If you plan to do occasional ocean riding, you'd probably be happiest with the 2012 FX SHO or FX HO. That hull (new for 2012) seems to do the best in rougher ocean water.

  5. #5
    Yamaha is by far the most dependable. I agree with your plans the FX HO, or FX SHO are most likely your best fit. I have the FX HO cruiser and could not be happier!

  6. #6
    gregt909's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Montgomery Texas
    Posts
    64
    imo Yamaha is far more dependable than Sea Doo. However if you plan to do a lot of salt water riding then Sea Doo start looking a lot better because they have a closed loop cooling system. Just depends on how you think you will be using it most.

  7. #7
    nicjak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Warragul, Downunder
    Posts
    7,794
    +1
    625
    of course its going to be the most dependable your in the yamahe threads buy what suits your budget and what feels right for you, there is not one ski out there that is any better than the next they are all great quality well build ski's no matter what brand (except for the chinese imports) no matter who you ask they are going to tell you they have the best ski its all about personal choice and sorting the bullshit from the bullshitters, and the knowalls from the know nothings, good luck with your choice im betting deep down in your heart you know what appeals to you go with that i say

  8. #8
    cmgww's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    314
    +1
    8
    I am biased, but I also have a set of eyes and a brain. And historically, Yamaha has been a very dependable brand of PWC. When I see beach "jet-ski" rental operations a majority of them rent Yamahas, b/c they can be ridden day after day and beat up and keep going...Sea-Doos had to be maintained a lot more back in the days of the 2 stroke Rotax (mid 90s), but I am not so sure with the 4 strokes. I do know that stock 2 stroke Yami's are pretty much bulletproof if they are given basic maintenance....but again I can't speak for 4 strokes, since I don't ride one. I know that doesn't help a ton, but I do know that the general image is that Yamaha is very reliable, Sea-Doos are great with a ton of technology/gizmos but they are more "testy", Kawis and others are somewhere in the middle. Again just my opinion, every ski is different. But I think you would do far worse than an FX-HO or SHO.

  9. #9
    YoYamma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    21,528
    +1
    4,755
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboyelroy View Post
    Are yammy's the most dependable out of all ski's? Im trying to figure out which is the best for me. Im a noob. I have been turned on by the SHO/HO or the vx deluxe. But dont know which is the right one. Im 6'5 and 275. I want plenty of power to tow a tuber and myself. I would do mainly fresh water and the occasional salt water. Please let me know. Is the rooster tails of yammy the only pwc that is like it is?
    If I do not get the yammys I will be purchasing the Sea Doo RTX and GTX but I keep hearing horror stories of how undependable in salt they are and very expensive. Please fill me in with info and the best type of boat for me. Im not looking to mod and all out race, just to get out every now and then. And some cruising.

    Thanks ahead for the advice
    Based on your post I would say definitely go with Yamaha; the fact that they are used extensively in rental operations all around the world speaks for their dependability. Also I wouldn't buy into any B.S. claims that there is not one ski out there that is any better than the next. For me, the fact that Sea-Doo only offered a 4 year warranty in Florida, vs. 5 years on Yamaha spoke volumes. All manufacturers do not build "equal quality" products in any industry. They may all be striving to make their products better, (some more than others) but they do not all have equal quality and they are not all equally dependable.

  10. #10
    YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    3,142
    +1
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboyelroy View Post
    I was figuring that. But the thing is I plan on going into some choppy water from time to time. I plan on going down south and riding over to the bahamas here and there. Thats y I was asking is the Fx the way to go or what? IS the yammy more dependable than the sea doo?
    6.5 ? 275 ? Man ditch the VX models, i will go with an FX SHO. VX are not as stable plus the FX models handles the chop like nothing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Video: Is This The Most Ocean-Prepped Jet Ski Ever?
    By Rustymuscle in forum The Watercraft Journal
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-26-2015, 09:36 PM
  2. Which Polaris Three Seater Model Is The Most Reliable?
    By dtescher in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-10-2013, 01:29 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-21-2012, 01:00 AM
  4. what is the most playful entry level PWC????
    By dt3257 in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-25-2011, 10:39 AM
  5. what is the most playful entry level PWC????
    By dt3257 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-14-2011, 01:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •