Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

fzr transom plate

While riding this weekend we found the ski had a small leak. With the seat off I noticed when the ski was underway (40+ mph) water coming from the cooling water return fitting)going out of the rear at the transom plate.

I took the transom plate out today and found there is hardly any silicone surround the fitting.I believes the transom plate isn't sealed properly and water is squeezing through and coming in where the fitting-hull-transom plate go together. It isn't a ton of water or enough to cause any real problems, the bilge pump can keep up.

Now i took some pic before i take it out and i think the transom plate was misaligned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0486.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	274823   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0485.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	274822   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0487.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	274824   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0488.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	274825  

+1
    Remove the plate clean the hull and plate real good light sand hull where the plate contacts the hull, glass beed the plate contact face also. Install with 3M 5200 fast cure sealer be sure plate is touching all contact locating tabs when installing transom plate, tork to factory spefications ( 19.2 foot pounds) let set 24-48 hours and you are good to go. Tommy Jordan

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    Remove the plate clean the hull and plate real good light sand hull where the plate contacts the hull, glass beed the plate contact face also. Install with 3M 5200 fast cure sealer be sure plate is touching all contact locating tabs when installing transom plate, tork to factory spefications ( 19.2 foot pounds) let set 24-48 hours and you are good to go. Tommy Jordan
    Yes i will do that, thank you. But i think most of this fzr are having this problem. I have read some other thread and they were having the same problem. So the transom plate tabs have to touch all contact locating tabs on the hull, it can't not have any gap in between this two tabs right.

+1
    Mine is hanging down a tad as well. I need to do the same thing.

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mike1706 View Post
    Yes i will do that, thank you. But i think most of this fzr are having this problem. I have read some other thread and they were having the same problem. So the transom plate tabs have to touch all contact locating tabs on the hull, it can't not have any gap in between this two tabs right.
    Mike remember i had the same problem when we rode and race that Blue FZR at the Lake the amount of water i had in my ski, Same fitting was leaking. Just take it off and 5200 problem solved.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    My transom was spaced out the same way at the tabs. I yanked mine off, blended the top edge so it was a smoother transition, filled the gigantic void with epoxy and put the transom back in with 5200. Before torquing I used a jack on the bottom to push the plate as close to the tabs as possible the tightened it all down.

+1
    What is the best wat to remove the transom plate from the hull?
    What is best to get the adhesive off?

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1
    heat gun, but you wont need one lol stock sealant just sucks yank it off.

+1
    Mine came right off with very little effort. I was able to scrape most of the sealant off, and used either acetone or mineral spirits to get the rest off.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mike1706 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post

I just removed mine and the top by the trim cables the silicone blew out, and there was water in the void behind transom plate, my steering cable was loose and i had poor sealant as well

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information