Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wr500 problem

Wr500 problem

Hey guys.

I have a problem with this waverunner wr500 1993 I just bought. The previous owner told me that it has just been fully rebuilt which seems to be true. I did a compression check and it was 145/145. Carby is rebuilt and clean. At home when I run it on the tap it is like a new ski, good throttle response, good idle (as seen in video 4) but as soon as the rear of the ski goes under it won't run.
    Here are some videos of it.
    Vid 1

Vid 2

Vid 3

vid 4

Has anyone experienced this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Been playing around with the ski today. It seems the smoke I point to in the videos is a normal thing. I blocked the exhaust with my hand and it dies the same way it does when I try to launch it in the water. Is it possible that my exhaust is filling with water not allowing any fumes to get out.

Hmm no ideas guys. I'm now thinking it could be running to lean so once it gets the load of the water it's leaning out even more stalling the engine. I'm heading back to the ramp tomorrow to see if it is something wrong wih the carby adjustments and tune it in the water. Is there anything you guys can suggest I check while I'm there

Try out

i have two 92 lx650 pretty much the same thing.....when you first start them in the water pull the choke all the way out till it tries to crank.may take a while turning over so need a good battery..if you flood it you should be able to cut the gas off and still start it with choke out....let me know what happens.after it starts you should be good for the rest of the day in water..

Thanks mvpxspeedy I'll give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mvpxspeedy View Post
    i have two 92 lx650 pretty much the same thing.....when you first start them in the water pull the choke all the way out till it tries to crank.may take a while turning over so need a good battery..if you flood it you should be able to cut the gas off and still start it with choke out....let me know what happens.after it starts you should be good for the rest of the day in water..
    Gave it a go with no luck. Got it idling for about a minute and it died. The next start i gave it some throttle and it bogged down and died. It starts everytime but dies from within 1 second to a minute. I was there for 30 minutes trying to get it going and the engine got hot after alot of starts and 2 runs it had. If it didnt run yesterday with a hot engine i dont think its going to run because i think it has a problem but i just cant think of what it would be. oh and after failing for so long, when i winched it out of the water i pressed the start button and ran fine full throttle response...... it just doesnt make sense

normally on those you cant press the throttle till they idle in the water a few mins. around 2 mins...have to start with choke then press choke in after it runs a few secs then just idle around the rest of the 2 mins till motor warms up..anytime you give throttle before the warm up, it will flood it...you could also get a small spray bottle put some mixed gas in it and spray some in carb just do light pumps on take off to eliminate any carb issue.other than that sounds like a bad plug which still works but miss fires would prob. get some cheap autolites instead of ngk. and try those.If spraying while driving works you have a carb issue i would check daiphram in the carb for any holes,and check air mixture screw should be around 1 1/2turns out,check for any broken reed pedal...also sounds like you have a gas line air leak check lines and all clamps/rubber boots on tank and gas cap for leak...if any leaks they run like its out of gas..

most of the time once it starts with the choke you shouldnt have to use it no more..just dont give it any throttle untill it idles on its on a few....then take off easy throttle.Steps, Spray some mixed gas in carb use choke should start, once started push in choke , still use spray bottle if it doesnt stay idling but shouldnt need choke.....choke only if flooded with gas cut off to get back started...can use spray with gas off if you feel its flooding...

+1
    It may be that you have a low speed hesitation.

You can try to open the low speed jet a quater turn to see if that helps. Keep opening it 1/4 turn at a time till you notice real changes. If you find that you can "wake up" the bottom end with this adjustment, make sure to close the low speed jet back just enough to where the hesitation begins again, then reopen 1/8 a turn.

Once you make this adjustment, your idle speed may increase. Adjust the idle speed back down. Be sure to keep track of how much you have opened and closed the jet.

Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    It may be that you have a low speed hesitation.

You can try to open the low speed jet a quater turn to see if that helps. Keep opening it 1/4 turn at a time till you notice real changes. If you find that you can "wake up" the bottom end with this adjustment, make sure to close the low speed jet back just enough to where the hesitation begins again, then reopen 1/8 a turn.

Once you make this adjustment, your idle speed may increase. Adjust the idle speed back down. Be sure to keep track of how much you have opened and closed the jet.
    Thanks for all the help guys, i will try all of your theories until this problem is resolved.

Now i was wondering if i can put this brand new (built in 1995) genuine 500 coil in my 1993 wr500. It has a slightly different shape to the one in my jetski but was wondering if it would be alright to use.

Here it is: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/254/photorlz.jpg/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information