my flywheel story. 99 slth 700 red

This is for information on my Polaris. Doing the ignition update, the hardest part of the whole job is getting the fly wheel off with the motor still in.

I don't think I would have taken on this task if I did not have mech. experience. These instructions are for the most part in order.

Remove the oil pump from the flywheel cover. This gives you some more room as it is quite snug. I did not even loosen up the fuel tank to move it forward. I'm sure this would help but can be done.

After removing the little oil pump remove the flywheel cover. I used the rope trick down the mag cyclinder to lock up the motor to remove the flywheel nut. I was amazed on how much rope you can stuff down there.

After the nut is off don't forget to take the washer off with the nut.

The three holes in the flywheel are 8 millimeter with a 1.25 pitch. These bolts only go in about a quarter of an inch. The bolt length I used with my puller were about three inches.

You can not expect the puller to do all the work. tighten center puller bolt tight tight. Tap bolt with hammer you may get lucky and have it pop right off.

But if you have my luck it is going to be much more difficult. I had to put the heat to the area behind the nut. I used map gas which is the yellow tank tweek the flame to a fine blue point. It takes quite a bit of heat.

You might be able to tighten the puller a little bit at a time in between heating. It will let loose eventually. In the center of the flywheel there is a lot of surface space where the flywheel sits on the crank shaft.

Doing this job inside the hull can be done. Your arms will get beat up with the engine still in the hull.

Banned User
    +1
    To me pulling an engine is not that big of a deal. That's why I would prefer to do any flywheel removal without having to spend hours inside a ski.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I might add that it is a good idea to rotate the crank until you are sure the cylinder ports for the MAG piston have been covered by the MAG piston. That way when you feed it into the spark plug hole the rope cannot work its way into a cylinder side port and get snagged when you try to turn the crank further while working with the flywheel.

Another tip is to reinstall the loosened flywheel nut without the washer, just threaded back on far enough to allow the flywheel puller to work. When the flywheel lets go the nut will prevent the whole thing from flying off the crank snout and damaging something or someone.

The nut that holds the flywheel, is it left or right handed thread?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SVANREES View Post
    The nut that holds the flywheel, is it left or right handed thread?
    Standard right hand thread.

Thread Information