Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

1994 SPX for $250 opportunity - need input

Currently registered, looks really clean in photos, stored covered in the garage. ROTAX motor. Was told it needs maintenance and has just been sitting (which means nothing to me cause I just revived two 10 year sitting kawis that ran flawlessly).

Ok, what am I going to be looking for? I have Kawi's but never had a seadoo. My friend had seadoos and they seemed to crap out with carb problems. Someone else mentions something about igniters or whatever.

Thanks in advance for any input. I am going to be looking at it wednesday or thursday and pick it up if it startes and runs. How do I hook a water source up to it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	274837 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	274838 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo3.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	274839 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo4.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	274840

+1
    Dude that thing looks clean!!!! I would check the usual, compression numbers, it will prob need the fuel system cleaned and fuel lines changed. $250 is a good price Id buy it just by looking at it!

+1
    Just talked to the guy. Said it's never been in salt water. He had a mechanic come by and said it needs fuel system love (carb rebuild and re-hose) and that the engine has water/oil in it. Told me I couldn't check compression because of this (he didn't want to make a mess blowing it out)? That is what the mechanic said that it needs, engine to be drained and the fuel system cleaned and his estimate was $250 to $800 for repairs depending on the issue (worse case rebuilt engine).

Thoughts?

+1
    Well if it has oil in it it'll be okay but if there is water in the engine I would say its toast. The bearings in the crank are probably all rusted. I would take the plugs out and try and turn it over by hand. If it turns over then the pistons aren't rusted but you will prob need a new crank, possibly rods, and needle bearings. Basically you would have to tear the whole motor apart, or buy it like it is and try and run it till it blows up. With this issue- I would offer him $150 for it...a SBT motor for example will cost you $595 plus shipping...http://www.shopsbt.com/seadoo-jet-sk...rd/40-103.html. In my opinion,its not worth it unless you want to talk him down and ride it till it lets go. How does he know it has water in it and how long has it been sitting there??? Or try and pick up a beat up SPX with a good motor and do a swap. You can take the plugs out and blow the oil and water out but the rust is the issue.

+1
    Yeah I'm gonna ask him about that (where did oil/water comefrom and how long has it been in there). He says the motor cranks fine. I don't understand why I can't try a compression test on it.

How would it get water and oil in it? It doesn't look like its been abused or submerged?!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
    Yeah I'm gonna ask him about that (where did oil/water comefrom and how long has it been in there). He says the motor cranks fine. I don't understand why I can't try a compression test on it.

How would it get water and oil in it? It doesn't look like its been abused or submerged?!
    Yeah not sure why he won't let you check compression unless he has something to hide! Oil is normal but alot of oil can be the crank seals are bad and its leaking oil into the cylinders. It'll smoke when running but you can still run it this way. Water well it could be from the cooling system (might be a leak), or improper flushing, (if you run the hose and the motor is off you can flood it) Or water ingestion from sinking.

+1
    Yeah my daughter rolled my 1994 750ss xi 3 times trying to get back on it sunday and it maybe had 1/4" of water at the back when it was on the beach.

Can you give me a list of stuff to look at particularly when I go look at it?

+1
    Well not the main thing is the water in the engine. I would remove spark plugs and see what they look like, if they are too clean then he might of swapped them to cover up if the ski took on water. Turn the motor over by hand to see if turns freely do a couple revolutions to make sure it doesn't get stuck. Compression test on the motor. You can crank it over without the plugs and ground the spark plugs to spit out the oil, and then you can see if there is water mixed in it. Do one hole at a time, leave spark plug in one and use a white clean cloth on the other hole, and crank it to see what comes out. Then inspect it. It should be gas and oil, if there is water you'll be able to tell by the smell and color, if there is rust you might see some that too. Bring a flashlight and check out the top of the pistons to see what they look like (might wanna do this before cranking it) Bring a flashlight to check out the impeller area to see how the wear ring looks-scratches normal, deep grooves and chunks missing need a new one. umm I am sure theres alot more try doing a search but again YOUR main concern is the water/rust.

+1
    Cool thanks. I have a fiber optic inspection tool with a screen I can stick it in a few places. I may bring my neighbor who is a mobile motorcycle/watercraft mechanic. Pay him $50 to look it over and tell me good or bad. You think I should offer him $150 and see if he will split the difference at $200?

+1
    Good idea, um does it have a trailer or no? No trailer def offer $150 and maybe he will meet you at $200. Worst case you can always part it out for more then that I think since the parts are so clean or fix it up a little and re-sell it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information