Please Help with XLT 1200 155HP Power Valve Engine

My 2003 Yamaha XLT1200 started acting up so i took it into a local shop to have it checked out. I am told that the # 3 cylinder has very low compression and will need a complete top end rebuild. The only problem is all of the shops here are booked pretty much until late August. The ski is all stock with about 160 hours on it. I have alot of experience working on cars but not on 2 strokes. Anyone have any recommendations? I have seen the compete top end assemblies that some of the rebuid companies out there offer. Is this something that you guys would consider or are there some better options? Thanks, Mark

A child of five would understand this. Go get one. pierowman's Avatar
    +1
    I would start taking it apart and see what the situation is. How bad the damage is. Then locate new parts or have the cylinder honed or replated depending. Make sure you root cause the damage. Like oil line popped off or ring pin dropped so you caught a ring, or powervalve dropped in to cylinder. These engines arent hard to work on and there are lots of help pages that walk you through most needed repairs.

60% of the time, it works every time.
    +1, Mark, if you can work on cars you can work on these and theres a ton of helpful info here to walk you through anything you may come accross. do a little searching and you'll have no problem finding info.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pierowman View Post
    I would start taking it apart and see what the situation is. How bad the damage is. Then locate new parts or have the cylinder honed or replated depending. Make sure you root cause the damage. Like oil line popped off or ring pin dropped so you caught a ring, or powervalve dropped in to cylinder. These engines arent hard to work on and there are lots of help pages that walk you through most needed repairs.
    I agree with this. Tear it down and see what needs to be replaced/why it went down. I am at 170 hours now on my 1200 still going strong (knocking on wood). If you can work on cars you can do this. I came from Mustangs and this XLT is a nice platform to work on. There are a few tricky bolts here and there but is overall a lot easier to work on than my buddy's doo. If you run into an issue someone here can probably help. I have gone as far as rebuilding the entire pump to having the exhaust system off to install the D-plate and rebuilt/painted the carbs.

My most time consuming mistake so far was letting the oil line retract when I disconnected it from the carb linkage. I had to take off the rest of the exhaust from the manifold up, then I taped a small mirror to a metal rod so I could see the oil pump marks and readjusted the linkage after I spun the pump arm back to where it should be...

good luck! ebay is full of parts for this ski btw

I got the exhaust off last night. The oil line feeding the back cylinder is off. The compression readings for the front two cylinders was 115psi. What are my options? Thanks for all of the responses so far!!!!

remove the head and #3 jug. See what the damage is then start ordering parts. Did you run it long without the oil line on? Is there alot of oil in your hull?

It looks like the cylinder wall is scarred. Am i correct in saying that this engine has the nikasil plating. If so can i order a sleeve and standard size piston and ring set?

A child of five would understand this. Go get one. pierowman's Avatar
    +1
    No send the cylinder to milinium to get the nikasil reapplied. use the search there are many posts on this topic.

Thread Information