Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

8 case stretch bolts, 3 stuck, help!

this engine rebuild has been a pita since the beginning. Nothing has worked like the manual or the forum says it would so i have to call on you guys again for some help and advice. 3 of the case stretch bolts from the bottom of the engine block are stuck and i believe i stripped one head pretty well and the other two fairly well. I dont know why they are so stuck the others came out ok. I tried using an impact wrench twice the size of my head and put all my body weight on the tool and nothing. I than used a cheater bar at least 3 foot long and slipped on one bolt, and than another, and than once more. I had to walk away before i really got frustrated and destroy my engine. I feel this may be a lost caused and its not the only bolt to break and i had to put a hole in my sc to get it off, 3 days on that one. Im desperate guys thanks for all the cpntinued support, steve

+1
    If they are that bad you probably won't do it by yourself without stripping them... Are you using good tools? You may be able to tap the socket down on it and have someone hold the socket flush while you use the breaker bar... Don't use the impact... Good luck,, of all else fails bring it to a machine shop before you destroy the head

before i destroy the head of the bolt? I guess i should just bring it to a machine shop but i dont know of any in daytona, and even if i found one could i trust them..

and it was a two man team getting the 5 out one held the socket flush and put weight and other turned the bar and yes good tools

+1
    put all of the perimeter bolts back in and tighten them down!. They will relieve the pressure that is now only concentrated on the 8 remaining crank bolts. It makes a huge difference!

never thought of that, but i think i striped one beyond usable. What could i do to fix this worst case? Would a machine shop have better tools if it gets to that point?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HardmanGT View Post
    put all of the perimeter bolts back in and tighten them down!. They will relieve the pressure that is now only concentrated on the 8 remaining crank bolts. It makes a huge difference!
    Yep, loosen each a tiny bit, working around to all. Repeat.
    There are sockets made to remove rounded heads. They have tapered, sharp teeth that bite harder the more you crank on 'em. Can't remember the name...
    Liek he said, I'd try to re-install the others to relieve pressure first.
    Good luck with the stuck ones.

Thanks, ill need it. I learn the hard way most every time. Well ill go try it just frustrates me. And if anyone3 knows a good machine shop in daytona let me know. Ill need to do a hone later assuming i ever get these bolts out.

+1
    You could weld nuts on top of the bolts and then try removing them again. Especially if you rounded the heads of the bolts already.

It's hard to reach I don't think I could weld in such a small place

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lemon4879 View Post
    It's hard to reach I don't think I could weld in such a small place
    Place the nut on top of the bolt head, then you weld into the center of the nut

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information