Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My GP12 GRENADE

My GP12 GRENADE

So the last time this girl saw the water, was for 10 minutes before requiring a tow in. That was probably two years ago. I checked the compression at the time and had lost two cylinders. Both were scarred and, well you can see. I haven't had the time or money to deal with it but found some and am determined to get her purring again.

Found this guy in the exhaust while dissembling

Some lovely corrosion:

When taking off the carbs, I found the most likely culprit: two of the three oil delivery hoses were off the carb, of course the two cylinders which are toast

Why/How could this have happened?? The third just slipped right off too, wtf? Seems like a pretty critical connection to be held on by a ziptie.

And the ski

The location of the carb assembly bolts encouraged me to call it a day. So, I've yet to uncover the rest of the carnage. Any tips on getting that assembly off?

My plan is to go ahead and get a refurb engine. Hopefully everything else is still okay.

I was hoping you guys could share some wisdom here. Like, if I'm going to have this thing torn down and spend a bunch on new parts, are there any upgrades that would be silly to overlook? Have you experienced or seen this before? Any comments in general on things to watch out for through this process? Advice on where to buy the engine? Ive chatted with SBT, RIVA and left a message with PWCengines.

Thanks guys,

Derek- in San Diego btw
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7397809316_c92878de63_b.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	465.9 KB 
ID:	274931  

+1
    i'm sure the exhausts are a dime a dozen since so many convert these skis into doo powered machines, i'm sure someone would come off a better unit if you need....

Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    i'm sure the exhausts are a dime a dozen since so many convert these skis into doo powered machines, i'm sure someone would come off a better unit if you need....
    You mean to address the corrosion? Perhaps I was being naive when thinking some elbow grease could take care of that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Drock450 View Post
    You mean to address the corrosion? Perhaps I was being naive when thinking some elbow grease could take care of that.
    id run some scotch brite over the pipe prob fix that up. abd also take it down to the crank just to check the bearings it would suck to spend all that time and get 3 hours out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TX21 View Post
    id run some scotch brite over the pipe prob fix that up. abd also take it down to the crank just to check the bearings it would suck to spend all that time and get 3 hours out of it.
    Thanks, 3 hrs is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Yea, I'm def gonna break it all the way down, just ran out of steam today. Actually interested to see what comes out of there too. Part of my thinking with a refurb is to prevent overlooking any details like that. Still kinda intimidated by the carbs tho.

The carbs are easy to remove. I just took mine off and rebuilt them for the first time a month ago. I had never done it before. Just make sure you order your gasket kits. There is nothing like getting everything torn down, replaced, ready to put back together, only to find out you cant because you forgot the gaskets. Get T-Handle allen wrenches to remove the carbs that way you arent trying to fish small wrenches into that tiny area. I think they are 5mm bolts in between the carbs. Then each carb has two bolts that go through the carb body. If you arent the greatest at remembering things take lots of pictures while you are breaking it down. To be honest it looks way more intimidating that it really is. I put a strip of duct tape over the ports once removed to help prevent anything getting in there until I put them back on.

Thanks for the reply, man. Ive definitely been taking photos as I go along.

Whats a fix for the oil delivery lines? Smaller hose clamps?

A child of five would understand this. Go get one. pierowman's Avatar
    +1
    Many people block off the oil and premix. Others like me put on two zip ties and try to keep an eye out.

I found metal clips at the hardware store plus a zip tie. Figured it was worth a shot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information