Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Debris = 2 hour ride back

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	306 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	274957

Anyone else riding the Mississippi finding a lot of debris in the water? Sucked this up last weekend by Prairie Du Chiene, WI. Ending up being 7 miles from the dock and had to limp back at 4 mph. My 45 minute ride turned into a 3 hour one Good thing I needed a new wear ring anyways

+1
    What is that? a stick??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by surferd15 View Post
    What is that? a stick??
    Probably a piece of drift wood if he was on the MS River.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    Probably a piece of drift wood if he was on the MS River.
    Yep, that's what it looks like.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AReiter View Post

Anyone else riding the Mississippi finding a lot of debris in the water? Sucked this up last weekend by Prairie Du Chiene, WI. Ending up being 7 miles from the dock and had to limp back at 4 mph. My 45 minute ride turned into a 3 hour one Good thing I needed a new wear ring anyways
    Not in the Mississippi, but the Delaware is full of branches, trash and everything else - it's a challenge to keep from sucking things up!

-k

+1
    You should carry a very long flat blade srewdriver, like 18-24" long, that way if it happens again you can find a place to pull to shore, tip the ski on its side and use the screwdriver to get that piece of wood out. Has happened to alot of people, me included. The screwdriver trick has saved alot of ride time for me

Also wanted to say that this problem is usually only associated with using the stock plastic wear ring, the stainless ones seem to not allow this to happen for some reason, maybe cause there is not "give" in the stainless ones where there is in the plastic ones........

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AReiter View Post

Not alot of debris, occasional log hiding underneath the surface you have to watch for! Mainly patches of sea grass, floating in the main channel plugs the intake.

Primary Language: Sarcasm Pony Racer's Avatar
    +1
    im working on it.. just need to find someone to build the tool i have for a resonable price.. it for issues just like this and others..
    and i'm waiting for my CAD guy at work to get the it drawn up.

Quote Originally Posted by surferd15 View Post
    What is that? a stick??
    Yup its a piece of driftwood that was mixed with some seadweed also

Quote Originally Posted by suck my wake View Post
    You should carry a very long flat blade srewdriver, like 18-24" long, that way if it happens again you can find a place to pull to shore, tip the ski on its side and use the screwdriver to get that piece of wood out. Has happened to alot of people, me included. The screwdriver trick has saved alot of ride time for me

Also wanted to say that this problem is usually only associated with using the stock plastic wear ring, the stainless ones seem to not allow this to happen for some reason, maybe cause there is not "give" in the stainless ones where there is in the plastic ones........
    Thats a good idea.. I need to get a hose clamp for towing, I had a guy offer some help but I figured I was moving just as fast as what I would be if he had to tow me without having the hose clamped off
    I like the idea of SS rings but id rather pay 70 bucks for a new oem ring from sucking up a rock rather then 300 for a new impeller...

+1
    Suprising how a tiny piece of wood can jam up the works eh ! We ride a lot in bayous and rivers. I've had that happen twice-- once with a tiny piece of plastic and once with a piece of an oyster shell. I carry a long screwdriver and a giant pair of needle nose pliers (cheapies from Harbor Freight). Using the screwdriver fixed the issue from the plastic, I had to pull the grate to get to the shell piece and get it out.
    I go through at least 1 wear ring a season-- 2+ in some years on each ski.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information