Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy 2002 Virage 700 - Apparent fuel starvation

Hi I have 2002 virage 700 and seems to be starving for gas because I often have to choke it to get it to take off.

I could only get 28mph out of it today so I went home and added another diapram pump before carb pump and could get 45mph now but slows down with wot.

I cleaned carb and put winderosa carb kit in it also.

It does not seem to have much fuel coming out of return fitting of carb while running...at least not nearly as Much as sons js550 with mikuni carb. Any ideas guys?

Also pulse line is clear. Could it not be sucking enough on pulse line?

Also engine has good compression and I pressure tested crankcase to 7.5 psi and it holds air.

Any help would be appreciated I am at wits end.
    Last edited by K447; 06-21-2012 at 06:00 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTROCKER
    I am having fuel starvation issues on 2002 virage 700 carb ... I just took carb apart again and found a tiny piece of rubber under one of the small plates inside fuel pump of carb with the single screw in it. would this do it?

also my popoff pressure appears to be 23 psi or so. is this a problem?

also when i test popoff it starts to immediately flow air from return fitting of carb but needle does pop at aound 23psi is this normal?

i am fairly new to these jetski carbs.

also would it be possible to find a good power source to add a small elecric fuel pump to carb? am conserned if it dies for some reason dont want pump to keep pumping.

I posted a few days ago about this problem and no replies so far.

I added another small diaphram pump inline with carb and it ran alot bettter so i know it is a fuel issue. how much fuel should be coming from return line when running? i get a trickle. is this an issue?

is there anything in the carb between return fitting and small hole it connects to? i see a brass plug on top side of carb next to choke that would seem to run to this return line passage.

sorry for so many questions but want to get this figured out before summer is over in minnesota.
    Carbs are not really my thing, but here goes...

I can say that adding extra fuel pumps is not the correct way to be solving the problem. These engines run just fine with the stock fuel system, provided that everything is working properly.

There is a strong preference for genuine OEM Carburetor rebuild kits around here. It would not surprise me if you needed to thoroughly re-clean and rebuild the carb again using an OEM kit. Check and clean the small passages and any check valves.

If you suspect the carb itself has damage or defect then you can probably find a decent replacement. If the original carb is Bing then perhaps an upgrade to Keihin would help.

Always work based on engine RPM not displayed speed. RPM tells us a lot more.

What are the compression readings?

compression is 150 on both cylinders. also i pressurized crankase and it holds at 7.5 psi for a long time. did not see it move in maybe 5 mins. not sure of rpms but it does drop at full throttle.

what pressure should popoff be for virage 700?

Can someone tell me if there is a restrictor built into return internally in carb? If I blow in return fitting seems restricted.there is a brass plug near choke what is under it?. What is inside?

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    its a single Keihin carb with an accl pump.

Did you find any green goo on the fuel screen for the metering block inlet? did you replace the fuel lines?

if you found some goo inside the carb the fuel return could be clogged.

maybe a loose connection on the pulse line at the block.

maybe the fuel pump itself has a loose check flap in it. just went thru a set where the flap had come completly loose and fell ofinsdie the pump housing

I switched my single carb Virage over to a twin setup, wow what a difference.

No green goo in fuel screen. Also added inline filter at carb. Do you know what pop off should be?

+1
    not sure about the brass plug.yes there is cast restriction in the carb body.its behind the uppermost 90 brass fitting,its VERY small.pop off is around 24 psi.i'd ditch the inline filter.never a good idea to put a paper filter on the suction line of a pump.way easier for a pump to create pressure than suction,seeing as how you can't put one between the pump and carb like on a car.

Can I remove the 90° return fitting to check the passage?

+1
    yes.i'd disassemble the pump as well. all the way.

if its got a loose check flap it'll have fuel issues

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information