1990 Seadoo SP power issues

1990 Seadoo SP on trailer it goes to about 1/4 throttle the acts like its hitting rev limiter (rev up and wa wa sound) in the water rev up and you have NO power can not get enough speed to control the ski in a no wake zone. Will not accelerate beyond say no wake speed.
    Ski has 580 yellow engine
    OK. I have been baffled by this lil ski. Engine runs well 125 psi in both cylinders starts idles runs well.
    But let me give the whole story on this ski. When I got this ski it was thoroughly trashed filthy 2cycle oil in the belly it was a wreck, but she ran (on the trailer). To help give an idea the ski has a Mikuni Super BN carb that has been professionally cleaned and rebuilt and tested 3 times. It has also the west coast exhaust and water can as well as an aftermarket intake filter. It has a primer set up as well that functions properly.
    When i first got the ski i picked it up along with 2 other old doos and a double trailer. The seller must have rigged it to crank because I later discovered on clean up there was no way this ski could run for long. The pick up lines were gone ....litterly nothing in the tank.
    I removed the fuel tank cleaned flushed removed all debris from the tank. Installed new pick ups and screens. Installed new fuel lines to filter and to carb and for return. Carb kit as stated earlier was installed. Still no progress

So after all this i went to one of the parts skis i got in the deal opened up the front cover on the engine case SO far i have swaped out the almost all the parts and still have Zero effect.

I removed the intake great and inspected the pump i did not put a feeler gauge on the pump but it....and i no this is sounds horrible looked good for an eyesight inspection no gouges or obvious problems with the pump.

With the ski running i have tried adjusting the carbs recived no change in how the ski operated. Still give it about 1/4 throttle and that is all it is going to do.

I am left wondering if possible the rev limiter could be causing it. or something else.

I am willing to try most any thing here fellas...even if i have to call in a witch dr to bless the thing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by drome View Post
    1990 Seadoo SP on trailer it goes to about 1/4 throttle the acts like its hitting rev limiter (rev up and wa wa sound) in the water rev up and you have NO power can not get enough speed to control the ski in a no wake zone. Will not accelerate beyond say no wake speed.
    Ski has 580 yellow engine
    OK. I have been baffled by this lil ski. Engine runs well 125 psi in both cylinders starts idles runs well.
    But let me give the whole story on this ski. When I got this ski it was thoroughly trashed filthy 2cycle oil in the belly it was a wreck, but she ran (on the trailer). To help give an idea the ski has a Mikuni Super BN carb that has been professionally cleaned and rebuilt and tested 3 times. It has also the west coast exhaust and water can as well as an aftermarket intake filter. It has a primer set up as well that functions properly.
    When i first got the ski i picked it up along with 2 other old doos and a double trailer. The seller must have rigged it to crank because I later discovered on clean up there was no way this ski could run for long. The pick up lines were gone ....litterly nothing in the tank.
    I removed the fuel tank cleaned flushed removed all debris from the tank. Installed new pick ups and screens. Installed new fuel lines to filter and to carb and for return. Carb kit as stated earlier was installed. Still no progress

So after all this i went to one of the parts skis i got in the deal opened up the front cover on the engine case SO far i have swaped out the almost all the parts and still have Zero effect.

I removed the intake great and inspected the pump i did not put a feeler gauge on the pump but it....and i no this is sounds horrible looked good for an eyesight inspection no gouges or obvious problems with the pump.

With the ski running i have tried adjusting the carbs recived no change in how the ski operated. Still give it about 1/4 throttle and that is all it is going to do.

I am left wondering if possible the rev limiter could be causing it. or something else.

I am willing to try most any thing here fellas...even if i have to call in a witch dr to bless the thing.
    Are any of the the other junk skis same year/model? If so, can't you swap ECU's with one of those? Do those older ski's even have ECU's? lol I'm just shooting out ideas. At least that would tell you if the rev limiter is effed or not.

+1
    It's sounds like a mega-bad case of cavitation.
    Pull the pump. Check the impeller and wear ring more carefully.
    Check to see if the motor mounts are intact.
    Good luck!

Thread Information