Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What will insurance cover?

I've read alot of threads about boats sinking, SC blowing up, etc. and without fail someone always posts how they are afraid of these things happening to them because of how much it would cost. So my question is, wouldn't insurance cover these things? Unless of course everyone has modded their ski (still should cover it) or it wasn't serviced by the dealer - why wouldn't insurance cover a blown SC or a boat that sunk or any other problem?

Has anybody ever hit up their insurance and has experience with this?

+1
    It should cover anything that would be covered if your ski were a vehicle. So sinking, theft, things like that would be covered. As far as superchargers failing, etc, I don't know where the gray area is between insurance and warranty type shit would be.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceg View Post
    It should cover anything that would be covered if your ski were a vehicle. So sinking, theft, things like that would be covered. As far as superchargers failing, etc, I don't know where the gray area is between insurance and warranty type shit would be.
    That's what I was thinking. So can those who are worried about their SC's blowing up and ruining their motor or having their boat sink comment on why they are so deathly afraid of these things?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven63 View Post
    That's what I was thinking. So can those who are worried about their SC's blowing up and ruining their motor or having their boat sink comment on why they are so deathly afraid of these things?
    Cause sadly, there are a LOT of people who choose to not have insurance on their skis.

+1
    Here are a few reasons:

1) Most of us just don't want to lose a machine we have put a lot of work into.
    2) If you sank your ski, you would never get money back for any performance parts that were on it. Unless you paid extra and made your insurance a where of them.
    3) You probably wouldn't get back enough to buy another new one in the same condition.

Think about it like a car. If it got stolen and the insurance didn't know you put $20k in mods into it, you would never get it back. If your motor blew, you would never even call your insurance. The only way insurance would ever get involved is if say, your motor blew and you took on water because of it or you hit something, started to sink, and your motor blew because it took on water (happened to a friend, totaled her ski and never got back more than it was insured for even with all the mods).

+1
    There is no way insurance would cover the supercharger or engine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ATNryan View Post
    Here are a few reasons:

1) Most of us just don't want to lose a machine we have put a lot of work into.
    2) If you sank your ski, you would never get money back for any performance parts that were on it. Unless you paid extra and made your insurance a where of them.
    3) You probably wouldn't get back enough to buy another new one in the same condition.

Think about it like a car. If it got stolen and the insurance didn't know you put $20k in mods into it, you would never get it back. If your motor blew, you would never even call your insurance. The only way insurance would ever get involved is if say, your motor blew and you took on water because of it or you hit something, started to sink, and your motor blew because it took on water (happened to a friend, totaled her ski and never got back more than it was insured for even with all the mods).
    These are good points, but I think he was referring to ppl with (at least mostly) stock skis. Besides, if you have mods, that's the whole reason why insurance companies ask if you have modified it in any way, so that the extra money to put into it IS covered. Granted your policy will obviously go up, but it's worth it if you're THAT concerned about it. People are quick to leave out the fact that their ski (and vehicles in a lot of cases for that matter) is modded to the insurance companies to keep their policy down, but then they are quick to get mad when the insurance company won't cover all that stuff in the event of theft or sinking, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post
    There is no way insurance would cover the supercharger or engine.
    This might be true - however, if my SC blew and I even remotely thought it went into the engine I'd be capsizing that boat and letting go 100ft down. No question about coverage then. Although, I do have the ext. warranty so....I'm only talking if I didn't have the warranty but ins.

+1
    Insurance wouldent cover mechanical issues unless it caused an accident for example when i put my grandfathers boat in for the first time for the season the mechanic must not have properly installed the prop, it came off i went into the dock and hit a tied up boat. All covered. I always keep insurance on my ski's its too cheap not too. Boat us is always the best price just insured my GTR215 for 11,500 full coverage for 260 a year with $100 deductible. As for loosing money on mods several years ago i had a triple pipe GP1200R i hit a submerged log and ripped off the intake grate and hull inserts. They deemed it totaled cut me a check for $4500 i bought it back from them for $300 and sold it for $4500 so i got $9000 for a ski that was worth far less than $9000. Do you research and read your policies not all pwc insurance is the same.

+1
    Swimjet29, same thing happened to my friend. She had a small hole in the fiberglass, nothing huge. Sat in the water for a few hours and ended up delaminating when she took off. Motor ended up ingesting water when she stopped at a no wake. Insurance covered it all, totaled her ski, and told her to do what she wanted with it. No buy back or anything!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information