Thread: 800 SXR Misfire

800 SXR Misfire

Just bought an 08 SXR with less than 10 hours on it. Ran fine on my first tank of gas. Now it runs fine at first. After 10 or 15 minutes or sometimes after jumping, it starts running rough, like down to one cylinder. I clipped the plug wires like suggested on another forum. Did not cure it. Steady stream of water is coming out the pisser. If exhaust temp senders overheat, does it run on two cylinders at low RPM, or cut in and out? What about air temp sender? How do I disable these

+1
    Possibly an exhaust leak, filling the hull with fumes. Possibly a venting problem with the fuel system.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannford View Post
    Just bought an 08 SXR with less than 10 hours on it. Ran fine on my first tank of gas. Now it runs fine at first. After 10 or 15 minutes or sometimes after jumping, it starts running rough, like down to one cylinder. I clipped the plug wires like suggested on another forum. Did not cure it. Steady stream of water is coming out the pisser. If exhaust temp senders overheat, does it run on two cylinders at low RPM, or cut in and out? What about air temp sender? How do I disable these
    I would not dissable them, if you do happen to overheat for real then you will fry parts and that gets expensive.

If you think it got hot, check the rubber exhaust coupling between enging and muffler, the can burn through.

Also, change the spark plugs, one may be breaking down. Look at the plugs, the missfire one should not be a nice brown.

Also, switch to Fuel reserve, see if the problem goes away.

Ski is not getting hot, and disabling the exhaust temp sender did not cure things. Has new plugs and excellent spark. Runs same on reserve as on "on". Compression is 157 and 160 psi. Fuel filters in carbs are OK. Plugs look rather wet, and the water dripping out the exhaust after running it dry seems blacker than normal. Is it possible the exhaust gasket is blown, and I have water from the exhaust getting in the real exhaust? This is driving me crazy. The ski is essentially like new.... I visited with my watercraft mechanic who does my short blocks, and he is also baffled.

Thread Information