Thread: 96 GTI

96 GTI

I Bought a '96 GTI---Ran like a banshee for about an hour on the water. Then bogged down. I have read the thread(s) about changing out fuel lines,cleaning carbs and fuel selector (all great stuff)

BUT- I had a mobile marine mechanic come out and service after running it on the lake. I explained the problem. He did the cursory carb adjustment/ fuel filter clean out/ etc. It ran great outta the water. Then last weekend took to lake, ran like a banshee for an hour then bogged down.

I called him back and now he says probably control box. Is that realistic? Should I cut my losses and tell this guy to take a hike? I haven't changed fuel lines, etc yet. When I told him that I heard the gray lines/carb rebuild & selector clean sound like they need to be done, he said he can tell that the fuel lines are ok. hmmm.

Any advice? Thanks- Bob

C'mon---hit up the newbie here.

+1
    Get a new mechanic.....those fuel lines are proven to clog up the carbs. Do a search and clean the fuel system.....and rebuild carbs then come back and post results.

Quote Originally Posted by surferd15 View Post
    Get a new mechanic.....those fuel lines are proven to clog up the carbs. Do a search and clean the fuel system.....and rebuild carbs then come back and post results.
    x2

I just replaced the gas lines and did a carb rebuild on my 200 GTI. You will be very happy after you do this

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    x 23 (the number of fuel line replacements/carb rebuilds I did last season). While the mobile mechanic knows his stuff..he doesn't know much if any jetski specific stuff. Typical "use ether" to get the ski started rather then fix the real problem. Once you've gotten into a ski with the green goo, you don't bother doing anything with a ski that has those lines..until they are changed out. Over the last 4 years mroe and more people that call me know about that issue from doing some cursory research

Doing a driveline repair without a load test is like an electrician saying it's ok to run your entire house off a 20amp breaker..gee the lights all go on.... all good. Tr to run the central a/c ((big load) and bang..lights out, day lost.

IF you are running an automotive type fuel filter ditch it. I've seen all kinds of flow problems related to paper filters. If you have problems with crap in the fuel system you must clean the tank complete. The OEM filter system does a good job trapping the big stuff, the internal carb filters trap stuff small enough to start cloggage and engine failure.

Haha--- he said "yeah those lines are 3.99/foot + the clamps, very expensive to replace...doesn't need that."
    That "mechanic" is gone. (and I'll hammer him for a refund)
    I'll replace lines/ Carb clean/selector---hopefully post results by Monday.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Financeone View Post
    Haha--- he said "yeah those lines are 3.99/foot + the clamps, very expensive to replace...doesn't need that."
    That "mechanic" is gone. (and I'll hammer him for a refund)
    I'll replace lines/ Carb clean/selector---hopefully post results by Monday.
    best to replace the selector valve..SBT caries them at a fair price..when you pull it and see all that green goo in there..you'll give me a tip of the hat.

and that's right..a1 rated marine line sells for $3-4 a foot retail, I buy it in 250 foot rolls so I can make a buck a foot on it.

McMasters has the clamps..you want the 13.3 size..they are far from pricey compared to the gash a poorly placed screw clamp can do to your arms/hands/fingers.

Big shout out to everybody..consider the next guy to work in that hull..don't leave sharp edges around..make em right I have a sign up at my place:
    --------------------------------NOTICE----------------------------------
    Fish hooks and broken bottles in the hull carry a $100 "medical assistance" charge
    if I happen to ding/stab/slice myself as you are too cheap/inconsiderate/lazy
    and use your hull or storage bins as trash cans.

as an option you can stick your hands in a plastic trash can full of nasty fishing tackle, old tow ropes, broken glass and treble hooks to get your keys after I'm done.

Thread Information