Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A little help for the new kid??

Obviously im new to the forum I just purchased a 2012 VXR (amazing) I am looking for a how to on changing the oil. the dealer said come back at 20 hours and wants $150 to change the oil. Im at 12 hours and I think I can do it my self I just need to know how to get the oil out.. I know you pump it, but from where the service guy told me from the filler cap on top of the motor but I dont see how that can work you cant get any oil out from there, or can you?? is there a special pump you have to buy?? any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks

+1
    I got one on ebay. You pump it out of the dipstick hole.

+1
    Here something I posted recently...

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedDemon99 View Post
    Hey, I actually hit 10 hours last weekend and did the oil change myself. I replaced the filter also with an oem Yamaha oil filter, and used Yamalube oil. I would say go for it, it was not hard if you are mechanically inclined. You do need an oil extrator which I got on ebay for 25.99 (not exactly high quality but it worked fine and was satisfied with it). If you want to change the oil filter also you need to go to autozone and a $5.99 oil filter cap wrench because it is impossible to get it off by hand from the factory. Yamaha does not require the oil filter change and I doubt the dealer will do it but I personally recommend it (you will get differing opinions on this). Your looking at $90 with shipping for this aspect of the 10 hour service but you get the oil extrator that can be used again and again (hopefully it will last). I recommend you learn how to change the oil on your VXR anyway, I will gladly help you through the process.

Now the other part of the 10 hour service you need to be concerned about is greasing the intermediate housing. You need a grease gun and Yamaha marine grease. The correct amount to inject into the intermediate housing is unknown for 2012 models but I am currently in talks with Yamaha engineers to determine the amount in grams. We here on the forums estimate 10 grams to be a reasonable amount. The Yamaha rep was very surprised that it's not in the service manual I bought from them. Hopefully I will know by tomorrow so I can inject the grease for my weekend ride.

+1
    Welcome for GH. Oil chnages are pretty easy. You will need an oil extractor to do the job, I personally bought the HT Moto oil extractor from pwcperformance.com I recommend consulting the VXR service manual which has the recommended maintenance schedule. This will give you a better idea of the first 10 hours service on your new ski.

Thanks for the reply. How much oil should I be able to get out from the dip stick?? and also to change the filter or not to change the filter? I already got it might as well??

+1
    I think it's about 4 quarts and if you have the filter you may as well change it too. It can't hurt.

+1
    What color did u get it in??

thanks guys stunna its black just like yours

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HossVXR View Post
    thanks guys stunna its black just like yours
    Welcome to the club!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HossVXR View Post
    Thanks for the reply. How much oil should I be able to get out from the dip stick?? and also to change the filter or not to change the filter? I already got it might as well??
    The oil system holds 4.5 quarts. You will get 3.2 quarts without changing the filter or 3.3 quarts with changing the filter. This is about what I got out. I say change the filter especially that you have it already.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information