Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

what am i missing? new rebuild, hard to start, wont idle

about 25 hours ago the whole motor was redone due to a dropped power valve. pressure tested good, oside bill carbs, pro x pistons, ect. about a month ago another cylinder dropped compression on me. i sent the cyl out millenium, got a new pro x, new base gasket, and new power valve. i took the carb rack off, and took the number one carb off (that was the piston that dropped this time) and checked the internal filter, and the jets for stoppage. was all good. i put everything back like i found it.

got the ski all back together, compression is good now. it wasnt getting fuel at first but after talking to rich at wfo i figured that out, the return restrictor jet in the number 1 carb was blocked causing it to not get fuel. (oside bill drilled my returns due to creased check valves) so now its getting fuel so i put the stinger back on and try it, i can get it to stumble around and fire, but once you fire it it doesent want to idle. giving it throttle snubs it out faster. call it a night and go in. next day i jack the idle speed way up, and it starts and runs fine. put it on the hose and its running great. i can shut it off and restart it fine. once it was running on the hose i lowered the idle speed down some, it was right at 2k on the stock tach, but sounds way higher than before i rebuilt it. im revving it lightly on the hose and get a lean runaway. some say that can happen after redoing one carb since its got air in it.

so then later that night, i haven't touched the idle speed, but it does the same stuff as before, kicks over and fires a couple of times but dies out. stumbles and shuts off with throttle. and whenever i try to start it i get fuel in the hull.

so basically the stinger is off now, i have a carb leak somewhere, and it wont run right. i cant imagine that the pop off pressure is screwed up on that one carb i messed with, and i cant imagine my crank seals are leaking with 25 hours on them. i didnt pressure test putting it back together because well, it ran great before it stuck a piston. and i dont have it in me to pull the whole motor out. im already dissapointed it dropped another piston so soon after i rebuilt the whole thing.

is it worth it to pressure test the motor? could whatever is leaking be my problem? how should i find that leak? i cant see where its leaking from from the top of the ski, so im guessing its below it somewhere.

any ideas?

A child of five would understand this. Go get one. pierowman's Avatar
    +1
    You said it your self "whenever i try to start it i get fuel in the hull. "

Either a fuel hose is leaking or a carb is leaking. You can try to feel your hand around to see where the leak is or stick a light in the hull and use a mirror on a stick to see where the fuel leak is coming from while trying to run it. My gut feeling is the pump side of carb one is leaking but it could just as easily be a fuel hose or some other connection point. Find the leak and find your problem.

+1
    I guess what im asking is can this leak cause air to get in and not want to start right? Or am I going to find this leak and still have some other issue?

+1
    Your gonna have to find out where that fuel comes from anyway....
    Can be causing both problems, can be another issue,

Pressure testing is a must! maybe you can only get the carb rack off, and find out whats wrong?

+1
    No way to know for sure but a gas leak would cause it to have problems. If it is leaking from the carb pump. Imagine its trying to suck fuel and feed the engine but instead the fuel gets dumped in the hull. Then the engine is starving for fuel and wont run right / possibly not start. I cant say that fixing this issue there wont be others but you need to fix this to see if there are others. Id say theres a good chance you fix that and your good to go but no promisses

A lean runaway can be caused from just a lack or fuel. The carb is getting air if you lower the fuel delivered you lean it out just as if there was an airleak or you adjusted the high or low jets.

The best way to see if the carb is leaking is by plugging all the fuel line connections and applying air pressure. Do the pop-off test. Note the psi it pops open. Then bring the pressure up just under that pop-off point. Now seal the carb so your not feeding the pressure any more. Do you loose pressure? if yes then you need to spray soapy water around the carb body to see where its leaking.

You said carb one wasnt getting fuel then it got fuel but now you have fuel in the hull. This is what make me think your leaking fuel from the pump side of carb one. Run it and see where the fuel is coming from, outside that we are just speculating.

+1
    I think you could definitely have multiple issues. At least the possible air leaks and fuel delivery. I found some leaking near my fuel sending unit and the fuel selector unit, but that did not cause poor idling. Have you checked your fuel selector and/or primer to make sure they open/close properly and not clogged? If you found some blockage at the carbs, make sure all is cleaned out. I am sure you cleaned any sediment out fuel tank when you did rebuild. I am sure you've already checked all lines for sediment and leakage. when you originally rebuilt engine, did you have crank inspected to make sure it was ok? If you have the equipment to pressure test, I would do it, and once you know the crankcase is tight, start eliminating other possible leak areas. michael

+1
    It only leaks when im trying to start it, which is why I hope I just don't have something tight enough. Could be a needle not seating but I feel like that would make it leak all the time. I dunno I know nothing about carbs. Im gonna pull the flame arrestor and see if I can see where its coming from

+1
    I can't really run it with the stinger off, ill probably try to kick it over or something and see if I can see it. I don't see how id get in there and look with the stinger on there

+1
    Mirror on a stick and a light will fit past stinger.

Yes i think if the needle seat was leaking you would be flooding not lean and it would be all the time.

+1
    leaking at the diaphram. can i lighly put marine grease on these little seals before tightening it all back up? its between the diaphram body and the actual body of the carb. is there supposed to be gaskets between there? the service manual and boats.net diagrams show there being two, but my carb only has the two on the other side of the body, the outside.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information