Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'99 XL1200, Push start button and nothing happens at all

Hello everyone,
    I have an issue with the 99 xl1200 ltd that I purchased used last year. I am new to the forum, one of my friends who is a big PWC enthusiast recommended this forum as by far the most knowledgeable out there so here goes. At the end of the season last year the ski stopped moving during a ride, alarms blazing, a terrible rumbling sound coming from the ski. Turns out, the splines on the drive shaft had worn down to the point that it could no longer turn. Replaced that and the entire assembly through the jet pump and this issue was resolved. Had the ski in the water two weekends without a problem, starting on first try and running like a dream. I took it to the lake last weekend, went to crank it before driving it to the boat ramp and the start button does NOTHING. The LCD display does not light up or give any beeps, motor makes no attempt to start, its basically dead. I thought it might be the battery even though I had bought a new one in the middle of last summer, so I swapped that out with no effect. I read on this forum and others for similar issues and most people claim that when they push start, they usually get the word START to appear on the gauge or hear a clicking noise coming from the starter solenoid. I am not getting any of this. I checked the master fuse, both fuses in the bulk head were good. Checked for loose wires in the bundle in the front compartment, opened the start button housing to see if may be the kill switch was sticking or wires were loose and found nothing a miss. I thought that maybe it was the electronic lock so I followed the instructions to reset the code and nothing happened. It seems that no power is making it to the front end. What i am wondering is if there is a way to bypass the electronic ignition to see if the ski will crank and isolate this as the problem. I have read that you can bridge the starter posts and get it to crank or at least try but I don't know where the starter is... I am not much of a mechanic but I have great friends and relatives that are mechanics, boat mechanics and electricians so I think that if I can get some good advice, they could help me with it.

Thanks for the time!

+1
    I've had that a few times, starter solenoid ( in electronic box ) stuck.
    Slam the box and it starts.. still need to replace my own

Thanks for the suggestion, tried it to no avail. My father in law and I dismounted and opened the electrical box and bridged the starter solenoid terminals and it cranked. Then we checked the continuity of all the wiring from the battery through the start button and back though to the cdi. It passed all those tests until it got to the cdi, so i am thinking that this is what needs to be replaced. Anyone know of a way to verify that? Can a shop test it somehow before i spend cash on a replacement?

+1
    If you bridged starter solenoid and it cranked then replace starter solenoid. Same thing happened on my 2001 XLT. $60 and you're up and running.

If that is the problem though, shouldn't I at least get a clicking sound or some kind of response on the gauges? Most of the posts I've read where the solenoid was the problem claim to hear this clicking or have the word START appear on the lcd when they try to start. I get none of that.

Had a similar problem a few weeks back. Of course you said you tried a different battery but try scraping the battery terminals a bit with a screw driver to "freshen" the contact up as well as the positive and negative wire harness surfaces. My issue was just bad contact...not sure if it was the battery side or the wires ultimately but it worked.

My neighbors older xl had that security code problem and he just unhooked the battery and re entered the keying sequence and related procedures...and it worked. Wish I had more specifics for you....

+1
    If that is the problem though, shouldn't I at least get a clicking sound or some kind of response on the gauges? Most of the posts I've read where the solenoid was the problem claim to hear this clicking or have the word START appear on the lcd when they try to start. I get none of that.

Does the dash light when you jump the relay?
    If you have access to another waverunner swap them out and see what happens to both skis.

Does the dash light when you jump the relay?
    If you have access to another waverunner swap them out and see what happens to both skis.[/QUOTE]

No, I tried it again to see if the if it lit and it does not. I don't have another waverunner to test on.

I tried resetting the security code by pulling the battery terminals and unhooking the connector that I believe controls that but to no avail. The instructions that I had said that doing this would reset the code to AAAA and I have tried entering that and holding down mode and entering that etc.. Anyone know if there is something I am supposed to do other than that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information