Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb What do you guys think of this oil line idea????

so as im always worried about my oil line popping, and i prefer oil injection, ive been thinking of ways to help keep that line on, so i was thinking, what if i put loctite on the nipple then put line?? what do you guys think of this? would the loctite do anything useful?

+1
    I'd be careful, Loctite may dry out the line and promote it to fail. Proper clamping and checking your ski over often are probably the best preventive maintenance.

+1
    Nope.

Loctite is a brand, you probably mean threatlocker or similar.

Only use it to lock metal surfaces.

There are zipties with metal clips inside, these are prefferred also for fuel and pulselines.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/12...dard_Cable_Tie

And indeed: maintenance!

i've heard of guys brake cleaning the nipple and hose and then supergluing it on, then using an industrial ziptie. Sounds like an ok idea, but after all the carnage i've seen on this board, i'll never do anything but premix

+1
    These lines don't have any pressure on them. Just keep them slack and they should be fine. I plan on changing mine this fall when I winterize it.

Stainless steel OETIKER CLIPS from Mcmaster Carr are brilliant, and quicker to fit than threadlok etc. Did mine last year and was very impressed with the fit. Don't want to premix so this was best choice. They are designed to hold the line, but not do damage, and they fit into tight spaces like the oil pump and carb body, unlike worm clips. Search for G/H thread on this subject to confirm sizes needed. Cheers, Dave.

Replace the lines and one-way valves with Tygon lines and new one-way valves.... Secure everything with SS Oetiker clamps and that set up will outlast just about everything else on your ski.

Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1
    I couldn't get clamps that fit my new lines up here north of the border, so I went this route:

The zipties are tight as I could get them, and then the mechanics wire is "cinched" around them - twisted tight as a secondary method of securement which actually did make things noticeably tighter.

I *was* (with a LOT of force) still able to pull the line off at the pump, but I couldn't see how it could possibly happen unless the engine decided to do donuts in the hull. At the check-valves no amount of pulling could separate them - I was actually afraid I was going to break something while testing/pulling. At the FA they were also super-snug.

I now carry a small inspection mirror and check the lines before every ride just to make sure all the ties are in place and the lines haven't started "creeping"...but with about 7 hours on the machine since my rebuild they are still perfectly snug and tight.

I like the idea in theory. Like above though I would be concerned about the lines being ruined or even worse the threadlocker obstructing the flow of the oil.

I've never known of a line coming off at the one way valve, and mine were tight as a ducks ass there as well, but it's still a good idea to secure them there, just in case! The problem is the spigot at the pump and the spigot at the carb as they don't have a decent 'step' to hold the line. The biggest problem, as suggested, is the lines being too tight and pulling off when they shrink with age. I was lucky as the original lines were a good 3" too long, so that wasn't an issue for me, but I still did the Oetiker Clamps (even though I had to source them through a G/H member, as McMaster Carr don't do export!). I agree that replacing the lines with a GOOD quality oil line is a good move if they are pulling tight though. Of course this will start another argument with the Pre-Mix/Injection guys! I don't want to pre-mix as I fuel up at a dock, and it's too messy and prone to mistakes for me. Cheers, Dave.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information