Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New '07 Speedster 150 SCIC

I feel compelled to post with any info about my new boat, because when I was researching a boat purchase, there was so little information to go by. Iím used to being able to jump on the internet and get a multitude of reviews and opinions about any product, but thereís very little info I could find about these boats/oversized jetskis. My neighbor has an RXP, and Iíve always been impressed with how quiet it was in conjunction with being so powerful. That, and the fact that Sea-Doo seems to be the only manufacturer of a 4-stroke this size (and anywhere near the hp) anymore, helped me decide on the Speedster 150.

I love the boat, itís just beautiful. New for í07, the instruments are LCD display, seemingly straight off the RXP and other skis. Itís ironic that Sea-Doo tried for so long to separate the jet boats from skis, so people would consider them ďreal boatsĒ, and now theyíve gone back to Rotax engines and dumped the analog gauges. I donít care what you call Ďem, itís nice to go out and rip through the water in January without a wetsuit on. It is fast. My Acura goes zero to sixty in 6 seconds, and this boat seems to accelerate harder. Time to plane is effectively zero. Took a couple of hours, but finally got used to the backwards way it goes backwards. Very impressed with the handling. In neutral, you can still turn the boat 360 degrees. I can pull this boat in or out of my boathouse better than I ever could my previous prop boat.

Iím trying to get my 10 hour break-in done, so I can take it back to get the bimini and depth finder installed, but man, the hour meter is slow! Iím doing the break-in thing by varying my RPMs and trying not to WOT for long. I know Iíve been out for six or seven hours doing this, but the hour meter still says ď3Ē. I can only assume the meter is also tied to how fast the engine is running, so since I havenít been wide open on it much, it registers engine usage lower. If this is the way it is, Iím just going to do my 10 hour service at five or six. I also want to get it back to the dealer, because the steering wheel is not aligned, and itís bugging the hell out of me (canít seem to find a good tool to get in there and fix it myself).

Still havenít broke through to 50mph yet (yes, Iím one that believes some brief WOT constitutes a good break-in). This worries me, because I was expecting a solid 55 to 58mph top speed stock. The ECU is setup during break-in to retard timing, enrich gas flow, and limit top RPMs, and automatically reset these to where they should be after the first few hours. Well, itís giving me all the RPMs Iím going to get now (8200), but Iím hoping the computer is still holding something back, because Iíd say top speed is just a solid 47mph. That would be way too slow for this boat, especially considering how it accelerates. Iíll update if this starts to improve. Drifting is an absolute blast. Getting out when the water is glassy smooth, accelerating to about 40mph, then turn the wheel to hydroplane across the water sideways; that will get your passengersí attention. It feels very stable and easy to control, but to a passenger, Iím sure it feels like something just went terribly wrong.

Iím still going through the process of learning what I need (this site is a big help), but so far hereís my near-future enhancement list:

1) Amp & subwoofer. Nice to have a stereo, but the stock unit needs some help. By the way, it sux that when you turn off the battery switch after each ride (as you should), the Clarion erases your FM presets. Makes the radio portion useless. Wouldnít it just take a $1 watch battery inside there to prevent that?
    2) Performance impeller. As soon as I can figure out which one will be best for my stock setup (got to be careful, so new into the warranty).
    3) Stainless steel wear ring, after I wear out my plastic one.
    4) Iíd love a performance intake grate; do none of the grates available for the skis fit the sportster/speedster???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speedster 1.JPG 
Views:	177 
Size:	690.6 KB 
ID:	15205Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speedster 3.JPG 
Views:	167 
Size:	493.9 KB 
ID:	15204

Good luck with your new boat. Now here comes the bad news. As we all know the Super Chargers suck. If the ceramic washers break your motor is basicly toast. I know this sucks to here but its the truth. Its happened to two of my friends.I have a 06 RXT with 51 hours and Im rebuilding the Super Charger. Im putting in high speed ceramic shaft bearings and Jerry's Metal Clutch Washers. Plus a Riva SC Impeller Its pricey But well worth it. Id rather have the metal washers slip when worn out than the ceramics break and fall into the motor and waste the oil pumps and the front and rear covers. And the countless hours of down time. Its a nightmare. Ive seen it happen. Not a pretty site. I also have a extended warranty. You should too. I reccomend it. Worth it if anything else happens. Check out the rest of the board lot of good info on Super Charger Problems. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Just something to keep your eye on.

THE OFFICAL SUPERDUTY!!!!!! superduty's Avatar
    +1
    vx1 welcome to the forum

on the radio you can runa wire to the battery its for memory but if you do that it will run down your battery - best thing to do is get a battery tender and then you dont have to turn your switch off- replace those stock speakers with one from alpine they are 100% waterproof and sound better than any marine speaker i have heard

+1
    It should run dam near 60mph.

So check things out.

Welcome to the forum!

Nice! Yea I would think that little thing would run 60ish. My father has a 20 foot Crownline 202 LPX with the upgraded 350 mercruiser in it and it runs over 60 mph on GPS. I know prop puts power down better than jet but that motor he has only makes like 320ish HP.

Good luck, nice boat!

Don't sweat the mph until you have a true reading via gps . . . use a hand-held. Even with a digital gauge, I bet it reads from the same less-than-accurate "spinner" on the hull. GPS it and I bet you will be pleasantly surprised!

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    failure rate of superchargers in sport boats is nearly non-existent Dr. Len... simple reason being they really don't come unhooked from the water as much, effectively they don't do their job very often, and their job is to slip... so SCIC boat owners are lucky in that regard

sounds like you are having an awesome time with the boat... i know it's on my wish list if i came across the money to be able to buy one... they are a ton of fun and I look forward to the opportunities that i do get to take one for a spin once in awhile.

Good luck with it... i love the red color scheme for '07

Thanks guys!

One of the reasons I decided on the '07 (besides color ) is I heard Sea-Doo finally got rid of the ceramic washers. Then talking with my dealer, who seemed reasonably knowledgeable, he stated that they switched them to titanium this year. Hopefully true, so we'll see how they hold up. They were also offering a 3-year BEST warrantee or 5.9% financing, so I got the warrantee.

I will be GPS'n in a couple of weeks, after I get 'er back from the 10 hour tune. Top speed "feels" like upper 40's though, so I'm hoping it will give more as these break-in hours go by. From what I understand, it is easy to recalibrate the speedo with a knob in the back.

I will take the advice and get a battery tender; they're fairly inexpensive for the piece of mind they give. Alpine will be on the top of my list concerning tossing out the stock speakers.

Now I just need some heat. Haven't started the boat in two days; it's 55 degrees outside... I don't pay astronomically high Florida property tax for this kind of weather!

Hey Shib Is that the same for the bearings in the SC housing too ?

VX1 thats a great boat! I'd love to hot rod that thing.... I've seen such a gain from when it was stock. However your handles a lot quicker than mine... PS. I pulled my superchargers apart and the washers were cracked but thankfully all still there....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information