Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gift Horse 1

Gift Horse 1

I was recently given a couple of ski's and the 99 xl 1200 has very little of the gunwale mats left in tact. I have ordered a new set of mats but am finding it a challenge to get the old adhesive off.
    Any suggestions?

Thanking you in advance for your input.
    Moose
    Last edited by MaineiacMoose; 07-04-2012 at 12:47 PM.

+1
    I went to Home Depot and bought a couple plastic scrapers and a gallon of Goof Off Professional Strength. Let the Goof Off soak into the adhesive for a bit and it'll come off pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I went to Home Depot and bought a couple plastic scrapers and a gallon of Goof Off Professional Strength. Let the Goof Off soak into the adhesive for a bit and it'll come off pretty well.

I tried the wrong goof off I guess I had the one for plastics.
    Thanks for the help.

I wanted to stop back in and thank you for your help. It took me 20 hours to get the mats out of the ski but its done now and it will be ready to go this weekend.

Thanks again.

Gift Horse 1

OK I have the thing all cleaned up,

Took it out to see how it ran...
    I launched the boat and let it warm up on the mile long 6 knot zone at the ramp I used. Made the corner out to open water and started easing into the throttle. She responded as expected and quickly asked for WOT responding again as expected right up to about 50 indicated and bogged out. Never made it above 2000 rpm on way back in. Took it back home and began draining the fuel. That stuff nearly knocked me down priming siphon. Not like any gas I ever siphoned before grant you it has been a couple of decades. On the hose I hear what appears to be some shaft or bearing play/wobble coming from the pump area just sounds dry to me but I have no reference this is the first PWC in my toy box, so I located and greased the thru hull bearing. Replaced the fuel filter and plugs and checked the check valve.

Put it back on the water and it got marginally better I could finesse the throtle and get it tp run at 2/3 throttle but when pushed it would bog down. If I cut power idel for a couple of seconds and went WOT it took off and got on plane then bogged.
    From what I have been reading here Im suspecting the cat. Its a bone stock machine as far as I know it was gifted to me a couple of weeks ago along with a second sled I have a thread for in the KAW section. I know this sled has been professionaly maintained for a life long boat owner who tokes care of his equipment.

Should I just start ordering the d plate and sensor kit I was actually hoping to put a few hours on it before a complete motor out exam this winter. I am looking to keep the machine for

Thanking you in advance for any guidence you may have to offer.

So I have been poking around some more did a compresssion test all three scored really close 111 - 111 - 112.

When I look this motor over I see a well maintained machine so I am leaning towards what my ear tells me is a bearing causing drag somewhere not that my ears are all that good any more (boiler maker in my younger days) I have to believe if it was the cat it would set off some sort of warning. I am still contemplating the d plate and sensor . Im going to go pull the pump and see if I can find my suspect bearing. Good thing the shop is conditioned its africa hot out there today. Water temp isnt all that much better.

+1
    Water temp is like a bath tub here in Madison, WI. I think we measured it at 88 degrees. air temp 103ish.

Ok here is what I learned...
    Pump removal requires patience not brute force. I read some of the stories here and opted to use a couple of wedges after attempting the rubber mallet. The rubber mallet was pretty much useless because I couldn't get the ride plate off. All 4 of the bolts spun with one making a sound like it snapped but the head is still attached to something. I am assuming the brown sealant used liberaly on the bolts and seams inside the hull is hiding a nut at least I hope its hiding a nut and its not an insert of some sort. Some advise there would be greatly appreciated.

The bearings at the impeller feel good. The shaft looks good only showing 2 wear rings which I am assuming are from the grease seal riding on the shaft. I assume I will have to pull the cat and move the motor forward to get at that thru hull fitting I am assuming that there is a bearing in there and since the machine is a 99 with 170 hours on it I want to be sure. Can't really see any way of checking it in the machine. The wear ring is scored a bit but not what I would call excessive. The impeller looks like it was cleaned/tooled at some point no nicks in the leading edges of the prop. There appears to be a bit of gasket blown out at the bottom where the nozzel is sandwhiching the hull. It can be seen in the pictures.

Every thing but that gasket looks good so far what do you guys think am I crazy to go after that thru hull bearing? Any tips on getting the ride plate off are there nuts under that brown sealant? Is that bit of missing gasket worth going after on a machine that will not be raced?

I am also not so sure my theroy of drag on the shaft/impeller being the cause of my lack of power situation anymore. But I want to make sure the pump and drive line are good to go for a season or two before I have to take them apart again. Looks like I will be doing some more searching looking for a bit more than the manual offers to do that D plate job and hope that my cat has plugged or something and that is causing my problem.
    <br>
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1205.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	276405
    You can see the piece of gasket hanging down on the left just above the ride plate. The piece that was hanging down on the right is now on the shop floor. Looks like the hole bottom of that gasket is blown out.
    <br>

Name:	IMG_1208.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	276406
    Looks like what I would expect for a pump with 170 hours on it.
    <br>

Name:	IMG_1207.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	276407
    Are there nuts under that sealant? If so how do I get the sealant off and what should I replace it with?
    <br>

Name:	IMG_1209.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	276408
    Looks like it has been recently worked eh?
    <br>

Name:	IMG_1210.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	276410
    Looks like any other drive shaft I have seen. Splines are not worn wear from the seal is noticable to the touch but not the eye.

+1
    if its like my GP, then yes there are inserts in the brown sealant. Sometimes they stick up through the brown goo and you can get a vise grips on them to hold them from spinning and get the bolts off.
    To remove the brown goo, use a heat gun to soften it up and start scraping it off with a screw driver or putty knife. That what I did. Its bit of a pain but it works.
    Then reglue the inserts down with 3M 5200

Thanks Cutlass Im done for the night I will attack the brown goo after work tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information