+1

1999 Ultra 150. Advice on pump and impeller please!

Just picked up a 99 Ultra 150. 120 hours on it. The pump and impeller are hosed. All else is in nice shape. I'm going to check everything over this weekend, replace oil lines, etc. It looks like I can rebuild and shim the pump myself. Has anyone done this? Is the rebuild kit with the updated seals sufficient? I called Skiworx to see about having them do the pump but haven't heard back.

Also, I'm about 300lbs. What impeller should I look into? Seems like most guys run the Solas 16/20.

I can't wait to ride this thing. I've been riding my 03 ZXI 1100 with some mods, will be interesting to see how the Ultra compares.

Thanks!
    Adam

+1
    Welcome aboard, HydroStream6!

There really isn't any comparison between the ZXi and the Ultra 150. They handle very differently, especially if you have the stock trim setup. Modifying the trim to give more UP will make it a lot more fun to ride.

It has enough power to go through choppy water. If you get into 1-2 foot waves with the ZXi, it will slow down. Not so with the Ultra! You'd better be able to hold on 'cause it just keeps on going through it. At full speed, the ZXi just sort of hunts for a speed and any little bobble will slow it down, not so with the Ultra. If it tops out at 68 on the speedo, and you want to slow it to 66, it will hold 66.

As far as the pump, I haven't done it, but many have. Make sure you get a kit for the later models that have 3 seals instead of two. Skiworx does a good job, but it's hard as hell to contact them. This time of year, they are really backed up.

You would be very smart to replace the oil lines with polyurethane hose because the original hose can get brittle and crack. Secure the hoses with stainless steel safety wire. Also, inspect the cable for the oil pump. Many have frayed badly.

There is a mod called the Triple Pisser Mod that is highly recommended. It allows you to monitor water flow from all 3 cylinder heads. The stock impeller is pretty good for a stock engine.

+1
    Thanks for the reply! I will definitely look into those mods as well as replace the oil lines and check out the oil pump cable.

Is the stock impeller really worth buying over an aftermarket one? The prices are pretty similar and I need to buy a new one either way. I plan to do extensive mods on this machine once all of the maintenance is squared away.

Aftermarket is the way to go on impellers. The stocks are aluminum and the aftermarkets are stainless. I run a skat trak which is a low end impeller and I'm very happy with it. If you get ahold of skiworx he will probably just give you a stock impeller, he said he's got tons of them laying around. I know he's got Atleast one from me, which I told him to keep.

You will love the ultra!

Its going to depend on what mods you do because as you mod you will need to repitch if you to ton of mods to it. Personally, I've had a 16/20 dynafly and a stocker repitched and I liked the stocker repitched myself. I will say this was on a stock motor and mildly modded motor. I would start with the cheapest which would be a stock repitch then wait to see what mods your going to do from there then try a dynafly later after your done modifying because then that might suit you better.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by STXR814 View Post
    Its going to depend on what mods you do because as you mod you will need to repitch if you to ton of mods to it. Personally, I've had a 16/20 dynafly and a stocker repitched and I liked the stocker repitched myself. I will say this was on a stock motor and mildly modded motor. I would start with the cheapest which would be a stock repitch then wait to see what mods your going to do from there then try a dynafly later after your done modifying because then that might suit you better.
    Thanks for the advice. The main thing is I don't know where to get a repitched sticker quickly. I can get the solas in a day. I really want to have this in the water next weekend. Short season here Haha. Any ideas where I can get a repitched stocker quickly?

Dave at Impros should have some.

Thread Information