Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Broken Spark plug in head of stx12f

Hey guys I stumbled across as what to seems to be a good deal so far. I haven't purchased the ski yet but wan't to get some advice. The owner says that when he got the ski it needed a battery cable and new battery installed. So he got the parts and he said in the process or doing the repairs he said he broke the spark plug in cyl 2. He said with the gas tank clean, oil changed, new plugs, possibly new fuel lines the ski will start right up. The ski has been sitting for 2yrs because after that he lost interest in it and so did his son so it sat.

My question is how difficult would it be to get the old plug out of the ski? Also how reliable is this ski once running? I have a 96 wave venture 2 stroke and it runs perfectly and I don't want to sell a reliable ski if this one isn't but I do want to get a clean burning 4-stroke lol.

Any advice would be great!

+1
    I'd say with this ski, you need to plan for the worst. Since you can't do a compression test, water test, or even start it on the trailer, there is no way to know what the condition of the engine is. They can be great ski's and very reliable. I have a 15f with 430 hours on it that besides repacking the pump bearings and oil changes, really hasn't had anything done to it.

As far as removing the broken spark plug, be very careful. You don't want shavings down inside the cylinder. Some have had luck with using easy-outs with the head in place. I think most people end up removing the head (not an easy job on a 4 stroke). If you end up getting it out with the head in place, I'd make sure you try and get a vacuum in there to get out any possible shavings that may have fallen down.

How many hours and what price is he selling it for? That ski will run much smoother than the wave venture. You'll have fun with it if you end up getting it.

The ski has around 130-140hrs on it. I can crank it over and do a compression test on the other 3cyl since I have the guage. He bought a new battery and battery cable for it. I already planned on bringing out my shop vac to suck out anything that falls in the cyl. I have put a small piece of tube on the end of my vac before to get into a cyl before and worked great.

The guy is asking $500 for the ski so that's why I figured it would be a good project. It needs a mirror since he said it broke when his kid got off it wrong and hit it with his foot. It needs a new seat cover (easy to do) and new turf and of course a major buff job. There is no damage at all to the ski only a couple of scratches.

I will post up some pictures of it later. It is a mess and looks ugly but I look passed that because it just needs some love

+1
    For $500, it's a no brainer. I'd do it in a second. It would be a fun project... If nothing else, there is definitely $500 worth of saleable parts on it.

Sweet I am going to go look at it up close tomorrow and get it but I am waiting for him to get the pink in hand. He lost it and is going to do the paperwork to get it. So I guess I am going to get it and sell my wave venture once this one is up and running.

Here is a pic that my wife took of it. I wasn't able to get out to it today.

+1
    Looks like a clean ski. I'd do it before somebody else gets to it. Remember, you are taking a bit of a risk by doing it, but I think the rewards are greater than the risk.

sweet thanks! He said it ran perfect before the plug broke so I am hoping that is a good sign. I will do the compression test and see what they sit at. What is the compression supposed to be on this motor?

+1
    I think stock compression on those is 210 or 215. But if it's an older machine and especially if you're testing it cold, you may not get that high of reading. I'd just make sure they're all within 10% of each other.

Sweet I will check the compression tomorrow on it to see what it's at

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information