+1

Need help for a 1999 SLTX 1050 that dies and Reverse issue

After sitting in storage for a couple of years I got this ski from my brother in law. It had been sitting because last time he rode it it would not start sometimes.

Will I did the CDI / Stator fix, and TSB for the jumper wire and it seems all good except for two issues. I also pulled the pump to fix a leak in the bearing / seal.

1) On first ride it worked great except for after about 30 minutes of riding the ski died without warning. It started right up every time except the last time. It died on me a few times, with the last time it died it did not want to restart at first. It would not even turn over. I noticed that the the MFD showed the voltage to be 8 volts when attempted to start. After a few clicks. It started ok. And even restarted after that ok. When it would die, it seems like I hit the kill switch. Plenty of oil and gas and no red LED or warnings.

2) Sometimes the reverse lever will not go to reverse. It seems to only want to go into reverse sometimes. It seems to be better with the engine off. I got it to the dock and it will go into reverse every time.

I have replaced all the fuel lines, and the gas filter is clear, and the battery is an new AGM.

Any insight will be helpful.

+1
    Anybody have any ideas? I am at a loss as why this engine is dies.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by keithg1964 View Post
    Anybody have any ideas? I am at a loss as why this engine is dies.
    If it is dying randomly and sometimes won't start, I would suspect a loose connection somewhere. Need to check all of your connections at the battery, solenoid, and all grounds. Especially if it will simply not do anything, then suddenly will start......

+1
    I have thought about that and I have checked all the connections. All the connections look good, and I don't really think that is the problem, since except for once when it did not even want to turn over, it starts right up. I have read that sometimes an exhaust leak will cause it to die, and I have checked all the exhaust and nothing seems wrong.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    How did you 'check' the connections?

For the heavy black battery cable you must remove the bolt from the engine and clean both the cable end and the engine connection. Also clean the bolt hole threads and the bolt threads. You want clean metal to metal contact.

Does this engine still have the original ignition? Is there a thin black wire going to the battery?

+1
    It does have the updated ignition, with the black wire removed and the TSB for the jumper wire done.

+1
    Reading the forums I have figured what was going on with it. I think I was getting a lean seize. It explains it all why it would die and why it sometimes would not even turn over after dying.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by keithg1964 View Post
    Reading the forums I have figured what was going on with it. I think I was getting a lean seize. It explains it all why it would die and why it sometimes would not even turn over after dying.
    So have you fixed it now?

Any cylinder damage from the seizures?

+1
    I was just borrowing and and fixing it in exchange in using it for a summer. I gave up and gave it back to my brother-in-law, and purchased my own pair of 2000 Kawasaki 1100 STX DIs. I am sure there is some cylinder damage as the last time I was on them, they seem to not be running as well as before.

Thread Information