Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Insert removal?

Insert removal?

Im getting ready to reinforce the tunnel and need to remove the pump shoe inserts. The thing is the pump shoe is going to be a big PITA to remove because it was loaded heavy with 5200. Can I remove the pump shoe bolts from the bottom and then the inserts from inside the hull and just let the pump shoe sit were it is. I was able to straighten my transom plate without removing the shoe. I just dont know about the inserts?

Quote Originally Posted by porksword View Post
    Im getting ready to reinforce the tunnel and need to remove the pump shoe inserts. The thing is the pump shoe is going to be a big PITA to remove because it was loaded heavy with 5200. Can I remove the pump shoe bolts from the bottom and then the inserts from inside the hull and just let the pump shoe sit were it is. I was able to straighten my transom plate without removing the shoe. I just dont know about the inserts?
    Yep, when you remove the 2 bolts (per side/insert) and remove the green yuk that holds in on, then the insert should come out from the inside of the hull. Well that was the case for my 04 ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by porksword View Post
    Can I remove the pump shoe bolts from the bottom and then the inserts from inside the hull and just let the pump shoe sit were it is.
    I don't think so. Breaking the green goo free from the hull is not easy. I had to use heat, prying from the inside and hammering the bolts from below. Also, I was not able to reuse the inserts because of the green stuff.

If your laying C/F layers the epoxy will get in the shoe holes.

+1
    Guys,
    maybe I can help you out with removal.

1st of all, go ahead and order the inserts for 2005 ski. You need the new ones. They work great.

2nd, check out these pictures. We are using a small torch and lighting the epoxy on fire. As it burns it starts to change color. Once it does this, (about 4 mins) we put it out and grab the insert with a large pair of pliers. Your bolts should be out of the inserts by now. If not, you have to remove them with channel locks first. Usually the ENTIRE epoxy GLOB comes out in one or two large pieces. It's nice pretty white underneath.

Precautions.
    • -Chemical fire extinguisher should be locked and loaded within an arms reach, in case it all goes wrong.
    • -Be very careful that you do not breath the vapors. I know it's cold outside right now, but this is not really something you want to do inside.
    • -DON'T LEAVE YOUR SKI WHILE DOING THIS. I know 5 mins is a long time to stand and watch, but it's fire we are talking about.
    • Even after the epoxy comes out, it holds it's heat. Don't burn yourself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0506.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	15219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	epoxy removed.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	15220  

+1
    I used a GOOD heat gun for mine. When the goo started changing colors I used a gasket scraper and the inserts and goo came out in one piece. The key to all of this is the heat. A cheap heat gun just wont cut it.

+1
    Pork I think this will help answer your question about leaving the Shoe sealed.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17093

+1
    I almost died when Fercho and I removed the glue from the inside of my hull. The heat gun causes that stuff to emit some nasty smoke!

Thanks guys, The ski is a 2005 so it should have the newer inserts already, If they survive. It looks like the general key here is fire or lots of heat. Thats what I will do. Fill the hull about half full of gas and toss in a match kidding of course.

+1
    This was sent to me by one of our quiet posters. His tip is pretty smart at keeping a very tight CF repair. Thanks again!

As a tip for future pump reinforcement projects, when you are adding the carbon take and cut a piece of nylon (I buy the stuff at WalMart cheap) about 4" wider on all sides than the carbon. Once you get the carbon in place and epoxy wetted out add the nylon over the carbon and take a squeege (orange rubber squeege also from WalMart, used for filling bondo) and push the nylon into the carbon and smooth the nylon until it is perfectly flat. Let the stuff setup over night and remove the nylon. This will leave a surface that is ready to add the next piece of carbon or whatever and the spreading process will push out any excess epoxy. Just clean up the stuff that has pushed out the side before it sets up or grind it off after it sets up.

+1
    I've got my boat apart to do the same thing, but mine is an 01 and needed the new 1 piece inserts. My question is why do you want to remove your inserts to do the reinforcement when they are sealed and mounted already? My new Yamaha inserts fit the old hex insert area perfect and flat to the bottom. Seems like if you put fiberglass or carbon under the insert area, they would not fit near as nicely. Is there a strength issue here also? Others feel free to comment, as I wish to do the tunnel reinforcement in the best way. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information