Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Do the 260's have to much power?

Yeah I know. On it's face asking if the 260's have too much power might be laughable to some but after my ride yesterday I am beginning to wonder.

NOTE: I AM NOT SAYING THEY NEED TO 'TUNE THEM DOWN'. I'm simply playing devils advocate here, a bit.

I ask this because I am at the 9 hour mark on my 2012 RXT 260 and I have steadily noticed the increase in performance. For example, yesterday on the river it was a bit choppy so full speed wasn't possible but...

From idle to WOT in that chop I came unhooked more than once and sometimes several times in the same run. The reason I assume is because the damn ski has so much power it would lift itself up and be out of the water between the swells. So I was getting this stuttered acceleration that was kind of irritating because I know an unhooked ski is hard on the SC. (BTW, my trim was middle to help with the ride but still have some turning fun).

AND, hard turns with acceleration caused the nose to submerge which ultimate lifted the back end causing it to whip around and again, coming unhooked. The reason again is the enormous amount of power these things have...I mean to tunnel the nose and still have enough to whip the tail end around so that it lifts up enough to get unhooked is.....SERIOUSLY FUN. (trim was all the way down for the turns).

I mean it can, at times, be a bit annoying to keep coming unhooked and it's so quick that I don't have time to let off the throttle before it's hooked again. But at the same time, to know you've got that much power at your command is simply Godly. I'm torn. I don't know if I bought too much ski and I'm a wuss or these things simply are overpowered.

Maybe I am riding it wrong (too hard or not hard enough)? Thoughts? Similar experiences?

+1
    WTF?

+1
    Your right about the power.
    Over 80+ hrs on my 11 tx and wot a lot.
    My machine has been coming unhooked a lot but I've noticed that I've began to anticipate it a adjust my riding style to prevent it..
    Riding wot WILL NOT HURT IT AT ALL..

They are designed to take the use with more durability than yesterdays doos..

+1
    The power rocks!!!!

+1
    Wouldn't trimming down more allow for more of the hull to stay in the water and reduce coming unhooked??

I would think that just about any ski will come unhooked when skipping across a decent chop. Now my XP will come unhooked on takeoff because the whole ski is launching itself out of the water, but that has a lot more to do with how im riding it and less to do with there being chop, Once you get them figured out and work the trim to your advantage you can keep them hooked up as well as any other machine.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceg View Post
    Wouldn't trimming down more allow for more of the hull to stay in the water and reduce coming unhooked??
    EXACTLY! With the trim down and hard into a turn with throttle, my nose will tunnel and my backend will raise up and whip causing the unhook. I suppose some of that might have been the chop and I was hitting the dips at the right time/angle to cause the back end to unhook, but still the power has to play into that ability. I mean, the chop wasn't THAT bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman_gq View Post
    Once you get them figured out and work the trim to your advantage you can keep them hooked up as well as any other machine.
    THIS is probably where I need to improve my riding. Keeping it locked down requires more skill than just nailing the throttle and going fast in a straight line. But then again, coming unhooked has it's fun too. Just need to work on the anticipation and let off just as it does it.

+1
    No.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    I dont think its possible yo have "to much power" ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information