+1

Fuji 780 Storage

I have a 780 that I am keeping as a backup motor. I am not sure the best way to store it and I am looking for some advice from you guys. I can rebuild it ready to go, no stator, no flywheel, no starter, no reeds, no intake, etc.... or I can rebuild it ready to drop in. Or I can pull it all apart ready to assemble. Its a spare, so it may be sitting for a while. Whats the best route to go to keep it in good condition and rust free???

Thanks!

Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1
    My vote would be to leave it apart, place it somewhere where it's not going to be exposed to water or extreme humidity, and coat the crap out of EVERYTHING with a barrier oil to keep rust off things - WD40 is simple and easy to find (I used it heavily when rebuilding my 6.5L diesel and it had to sit for a few weeks), but you could spray on 2-stroke oil, fogging oil, or anything that will stick (and stay put) and will create a permanent barrier against moisture.

Then cover it up with something clean to keep dust and grime off of it, and store it....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I would lean towards using fogging oil as the interior metal preservative, then seal off all openings to the outside world. Intakes, exhaust, pulse, etc.

Fogging oil is intended to stick to the metal and stay put long term. WD-40 is intended to act quickly to displace moisture, which is good, but it is not long term protection. It will evaporate over time. A heavy misting of fogging oil while slowly turning the crank over slowly should allow it to coat everything well enough.

Well oiled and air sealed from humidity the engine should be able to sit a long time.

If you plastic bag up the entire engine to keep dust and grit away, toss some dry desiccant packs into the bag before sealing.

+1
    I would build it now if you have the time, then shelf it so you know it's ready to go. Nothing worse than stressing over an engine build if you need it in a hurry.

You also have the comfort of knowing every part is in there, wouldn't it suck if you had to wait a couple of weeks for a piston clip that you can't find to finish the build.

I would fog it all up as suggested already, and wrap the entire thing in cling wrap and put it in a box. I like k's idea of the silica gel too.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I personally like fogging oil and storing it in pieces.

It makes it easier to move around rather than an assembled engine taking up space.

Even fogging oil in time will fall victim to gravity. So you'll have a bunch of oil inside the case, and a thin coat on the cyls.

That's my opinion.

And all the other ideas are good too.

+1
    Thank for your input!.......... I'll figure this out over the next week or two....

Banned User
    +1
    Build it and store it in a ski, and run it occasionally Since you have 2 skis with 750s in them and a 780 motor laying around............just sayin.......

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Build it and store it in a ski, and run it occasionally Since you have 2 skis with 750s in them and a 780 motor laying around............just sayin.......
    Hmmmmm never thought of it that way.......

Thread Information