Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

How big of a deal is it to overfill the oil on the Yamaha 4-strokes?

I changed the oil last night and think I put too much in trying to get it to read on the stick. This morning one ski shows at the top of the hash mark on the dip stick and the other is a little past the top hash mark, both cold. Is this a big deal? Do I need to remove some of that oil to be safe?

its a big deal, remove excessive oil and set the level at the halfway mark.

to check the oil correctly : start the engine and idle for 5-10 seconds then bump the throttle a couple times, idle engine then stop engine, let rest 5 seconds and check oil level, at half way mark ?

its ok to do the above without being on the hose.

Quote Originally Posted by 123456 View Post
    its a big deal, remove excessive oil and set the level at the halfway mark.

to check the oil correctly : start the engine and idle for 5-10 seconds then bump the throttle a couple times, idle engine then stop engine, let rest 5 seconds and check oil level, at half way mark ?

its ok to do the above without being on the hose.
    Ditto exceptt that if you run the engine on the hose, and really let it heat up a couple of minutes ,you will get a more accurate reading, and it will be easier to extract.

+1

According to the manual you should wait 5 minutes after running the ski before checking the level to let the oil settle.

+1
    I ended up pulling 3/4's of a quart out of each to get it down into the hash marks to be safe.

+1
    I ordered the HT moto extractor...I figure I am doing the oil changes for a long time and makes things easy...whatever I get out is the exact amount going back in...my dealer said I am only going to get 2 quarts but does not sound like it from what guys on here are getting...another reason I am doing it on my own...I can see them saying "oh okay got 2 that's enough next"

+1
    I got between 2.5-2.8 quarts out of mine minus what dripped out after pulling the filter. Just under 3 quarts.

After doing it, it seems like it would be easiest to have a few jugs marked. Pour the oil from the HT moto into a jug, mark that jug exactly at the level of what you took out. Empty the dirty oil from the jug and refill the jug to the mark with clean oil. Then pour that into the ski. That way you don't have to worry with the dipstick and can be sure you put back in exactly what you took out.

+1
    That works unless your burning oil or didn't have the correct amount in the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    I got between 2.5-2.8 quarts out of mine minus what dripped out after pulling the filter. Just under 3 quarts.

After doing it, it seems like it would be easiest to have a few jugs marked. Pour the oil from the HT moto into a jug, mark that jug exactly at the level of what you took out. Empty the dirty oil from the jug and refill the jug to the mark with clean oil. Then pour that into the ski. That way you don't have to worry with the dipstick and can be sure you put back in exactly what you took out.
    That is what I do, although good point Jill.

+1
    Burning oil? That's what 2004 RXPs do, not Yamahas (kidding, I've owned a bunch of RXPs)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information