Replace middle cylinder vs buy rebuilt engine

I think I had a ring break and pieces flew around in the cylinder, scoring the wall and pitting the piston head:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	damage.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	275233
    This is a 97 SL 1050

I'd appreciate some advice on the pros and cons of replacing just the damaged cylinder vs. buying a rebuilt engine.

Whatever the best course of action is - I plan to do this myself (along with a more mechanically inclined friend)
    I'd just like some more information before I spend money.
    Thanks in advance.

Random Lake WI
    It could be a broken ring, but it could be pieces of the crankshaft bearings if they are going bad, in which case you want a rebuilt engine.

Titusville FL
    How many hrs on this motor? Is the ski in good enough condition to warrant a new motor/fix this one? You would be taking a chance just throwing on one cyl without cleaning out the case. Might be fine-might not. If you like the ski well enough-do it right and pull the motor and go thru it.

Brunswick/Marblehead, OH
    I think that might be the worst cylindere/head combo i've ever seen. This had to be noticeable before hand.

Take the jugg off and have a looksee at the bottom of the piston,rod, and crank. Any schrapnel? How's compression on the good cylinder?
    If no schrapnel, buy new piston/rings and bore the cylinder out. PLus one new or used head.

Tampa, FL
    If you put a rebuilt in you need this engine to come out anyway. Once out of the hull it doesn't take that much more work to disassemble the engine for complete inspection. If it were me I would disassemble it before deciding what to do.

Banned User
    Milwaukee WI
    Yes tear it down. I would be willing to bet your crank bearings got trashed too. Go through everything, including the carbs and you will be back with a new engine.

Thanks for the advice - I will pull the engine and hopefully learn a lot along the way.

Thread Information