Prohibido usuario
    +1

Question about .22 rifles in Louisiana.

Since there are so many La. riders here I have a question that you might be able to answer. How come every time I watch Swamp People they either go out with their .22's unloaded or have a misfire? Is there a law that you have to unload the rifle if you get out of the boat? If I had a rifle that misfired 47 times in a 30 day season I would throw it in the swamp and buy a new rifle. Why do you need a rifle with a 30x scope on it when a redneck with a 9mm pistol strapped to his leg can reach out and pop a gator in the top of the head like he is committing a movie style execution?

Chooot em Troy, chooot em!!!

+1
    NC, I'm going to "give this a shot", but it' just my 2 cents...

"...every time I watch Swamp People they either go out with their .22's unloaded or have a misfire?" Prob. just a good habit about getting in and out of a boat bobbing around and having the gun unloaded. That right there eliminates any possibility of falling w/a loaded gun.

"Is there a law that you have to unload the rifle if you get out of the boat?" Not that I've heard of, which is the same for a vehicle. Nor do they have to be concealed. In LA, your car/truck (and I'm assuming the boat) is an "extension of your home" - meaning you may keep a loaded or unloaded firearm, concealed or unconcealed, at your disposal. Also, in LA, you can shoot from a boat as long as it is not under main power (you can be trolling w/the trolling motor, but the outboard has to be off).

"If I had a rifle that misfired 47 times in a 30 day season I would throw it in the swamp and buy a new rifle." Of course you would - unless you were being paid to experience a little drama in front of the camera...

"Why do you need a rifle with a 30x scope on it when a redneck with a 9mm pistol strapped to his leg can reach out and pop a gator in the top of the head like he is committing a movie style execution?" Well you don't need the scope, but these guys may also tend to do some small game hunting (squirrel) where a scope is very handy and they likely don't go through the hassle of removing it. Additionally, when in season, these guys will take shots at un-hooked gators from quite a distance - yeah, the scope is def. needed. Also, and this may have something to do w/"hide quality" - you don't need to put a hole the size of your fist to kill a gator when a .22 will suffice.

OK, that's me... who else?

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Let me retort back to Gator's explanations. Have you ever tried to load of unload a tube fed .22 (That is what they are using on the show, not mag fed .22's)? Not something I would want to do on a rocking boat. An adventure best saved for dry land. Every day before I walk out the door I check to make sure every firearm I have with me is either loaded or unloaded (depending on situation) and I don't plan on killing man eating beasts with them.

There is no way these guys are going out with these .22's on boats, treating the guns the way they do, and then shooting squirrels. The sighting will be so far off. Not to mention the way the wet environment would fog up the insides of the cheap optics they are using. Guess you didn't watch last nights episode. The 9mm left a nice 9mm hole in the hide of the gator like a .22 leaves a 5.5mm hole.

I just figured Louisiana fishermen would have more integrity than to be portrayed as bumbling idiots on TV.

+1
    Well, like I said, that was just my 2... nothing right or wrong. No, I haven't seen an episode in months.
    And, yes, most LA "fisherman" do have a better sense of integrity. But, then again, your original post was regarding Swamp People which more about "gator hunters" than any other type of individual. Maybe they are a diff. breed...IDK. But I do know they are hardy, self-sufficient, hard working people.

Thread Information