Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

timing problem with new stator/CDI/coil update kit

I have a '98 Polaris SLTH with the updated ignition kit just installed. Ski started fine on the hose but did not sound quite right. I took it out to the lake today and it would not climb above 3500 RPM. It sounded sick. I have read that the new ignition has a different timing curve. Can someone help me through the re-timing procedure?

I have read the manual for the '98 SLTH, but the ignition is not the same now. Anyone out there had to deal with this before? I would love to hear some ideas.

Thanks,

Pritchard

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Once you have the update kit installed, you must use the 2000 and later Gen III ignition system diagnostics.

I suspect the problem is not timing. Review the kit installation. Make sure the ignition coil and plug wires are correct, and the correct spark plugs are installed.

Is the engine mechanically good? Compression, reeds, etc?

+1
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm having trouble finding any specs for the gen III system. My manual only covers through the '99 model year. So any info on the Gen III system would be appreciated. I followed the instructions in the update kit. The only thing that might be a concern is that the instructions said that it did not matter how you hooked up the plug wires to the coil, since they both fired at the same time anyway. Could this be a problem?

Spark plugs are new and are correct. The compression is good, 130 psi on each cyl. Mechanically, I think the engine is OK. It just died one day on the lake while running very strong, well up until it died.

+1
    The single ignition coil on a twin upgrade does indeed drive both spark plugs together, every time either cylinder needs a spark. It does not matters which plug wire goes to which spark plug.

Check the flywheel timing, just in case the flywheel has shifted on the crank. Did you perhaps loosen the screws that hold the inner timing ring in place on the flywheel hub?

+1
    I switched the plug wires on the coil and the engine is now running great. I can't really say why it is running better if the coil fires each plug at the same time. Maybe I didn't have the wires plugged in all the way the first time.

I left the screws alone on the flywheel, so I wouldn't have to worry about the timing issue. Oh well...

Thanks for the input. I'm taking the ski out again tomorrow for another test ride. I hope it all goes well.

+1
    Well all did not go well. The ski did a little better, it got up to 3800 RPM. But that was all she would give me today. I have just checked the timing and it was dead on 18 degrees.

I have pulled the flywheel and will need some ideas on what degree setting to try for this new Gen III system.

Any and all ideas welcome.

+1
    I pulled out the timing light and found that I was mistaken on the timing. I originally found the timing using the dial caliper method and must have done it wrong.

When I checked the timing with the light, it was at 0 degrees @ 3000 RPM. I must say here that it was like that when I bought the ski a few weeks ago.

So I turned the flywheel the other direction and got it to 18 degrees. What a difference in throttle response and smoothness.

Before all this mess happened, I could get the ski to 50 mph. Do you think I might get a few more mph's out of this thing?

I'll be back on the water tomorrow to try it again.

+1
    If the timing was previously way off then the carburetor settings may now be incorrect if the carb was adjusted to 'compensate' for the timing problem.

I went through the same thing last year after replacing the CDI in my Virage 700/single carb. After installation, the ski started and revved great on the trailer, but once in the water it ran like sh*t.......wouldn't take any throttle or even get up on plane in the water. As it turned out, the reference timing of the new CDI was WAAY off to the retarded side. Proper timing ended up with the magnet holder rotated almost all the way to the right (full advance).

Couple other guys I've communicated with have had the same issue, so I don't think its isolated. Bottom line, if you replace the stator or CDI, you need to confirm/adjust timing just like the manual states.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hkg3k View Post
    I went through the same thing last year after replacing the CDI in my Virage 700/single carb. After installation, the ski started and revved great on the trailer, but once in the water it ran like sh*t.......wouldn't take any throttle or even get up on plane in the water. As it turned out, the reference timing of the new CDI was WAAY off to the retarded side. Proper timing ended up with the magnet holder rotated almost all the way to the right (full advance).

Couple other guys I've communicated with have had the same issue, so I don't think its isolated. Bottom line, if you replace the stator or CDI, you need to confirm/adjust timing just like the manual states.
    Same thing for me, had to advance the timing 10 degrees after I installed the update. The updates must be programmed for high start flywheels. Have almost no adjustment left.

-Brad

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information