+1

cleaning the jet pump

Hi, I have a SUV that the previous owner left in water alot and there are alot of build up of white powdery stuff on it. it is easy to come off but it is hard to complete remove them. I use some lime away to put on it and it reacted with lime away. now, I have a question, I was told not to soak aluminum in lime away as it will destory the serface protection of the aluminum and cause it to "rot" away slowly. Is it true? So how you guy clean you jet pump unit?

+1
    I think in the end I used some sort of aluminum wheel cleaner i had around using a scotch brite pad. I also used the scotch brite pad with brake cleaner, soapy water, carb cleaner...I tried a few things. All kinda worked about the same...the scotch brite pad did most of the work. But i wasn't worried about any coating...wasn't even aware there was any.

keep spraying it down with Wd-40 or crc 656 or silicone spray... over time it will be good as new!!!.............light oil does the trick and its a great corrosion preventitive. I spray everything down after every ride. I have 2 10+ year old xlts and they are as mint as the day i bought them!!!! And you will hear people warning WD for dry rotting hosed and killing wiring, like I said 2 10+ yo skies no issues with rubber hoses or wiring etc.... i use 656 now its a little better but used WD for 8 yrs before the recent switch.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    keep spraying it down with Wd-40 or crc 656 or silicone spray... over time it will be good as new!!!.............light oil does the trick and its a great corrosion preventitive. I spray everything down after every ride. I have 2 10+ year old xlts and they are as mint as the day i bought them!!!! And you will hear people warning WD for dry rotting hosed and killing wiring, like I said 2 10+ yo skies no issues with rubber hoses or wiring etc.... i use 656 now its a little better but used WD for 8 yrs before the recent switch.
    No offence, I am not so worry about the dry rotting, I am more worry about getting the WD40 in the lake. I think I will go with scotch brite. Thanks

If your in a lake just leave it alone. The fresh water will eventually dissolve it all! dont scotch brite it!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    If your in a lake just leave it alone. The fresh water will eventually dissolve it all! dont scotch brite it!
    But it was a fresh water jet ski. I wonder where the white build up come from.?

+1
    I had a ski that had a build up of oxidation from the owner leaving it on a jet dock. It won't just go away, my ski never saw salt water. Fresh water can still cause this. I used a wire wheel on a die grinder to remove most of it which also left a dull shine.

Thread Information