Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

2008 GTX 215 Oil into the supercharger and hose

Hello,

my Name is Hendrik, I'm 23 years old and I come from Germany. Since nearly 3 months I own a 2008 GTX 215 with just 45 hours on the clock
    This forum helped me already very much with all the information. A few days ago I changed oil, spark plugs and oilfilter. Before I did the oil change the ski had to much oil, reached the max. level already. After the change it's slightly higher than in the middle of the dipstick.

On Tuesday morning I went for a ride and the ski was running very good. The engine reved up to 8.060 rpm (before the oil change just 7.860) and I measured with my GPS 107 km/h (67mph).
    The ski was smoking a little bit since I got it, but I thought it was caused by the high oil level.
    During my last ride it started to smoke even more than ever before and during the last few minutes of the ride the revs were moving up and down around 200rpm (constant speed and trigger position).

At 4:20min you can see the smoke...

I read here that the smoke could be caused by oil into the supercharger. Today I took the air hose off to check it up. This is the result:

The inside of the hose was oily and as you can see there's quite much oil into the SC...
    Now I need your help, why is so much oil into the SC?
    Probably a seal does no more work all right?

I'm looking forward to get some answers!

+1
    oil in the supercharger and hose is normal,happens to mine as well.....not sure about the smoking.

Autism Speaks. Its Time To Listen gOt BoOsT's Avatar
    +1
    supercharger oil seal is leaking ~> http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1664 not sure about the smoking tho...

+1
    Thanks for the answers!
    Think I will order a new oil seal at the local Sea Doo dealership and replace it. How difficult is it to replace the oil seal and are therefor the same tools required as for the supercharger rebuild?
    Maybe someone has a manual for me?
    Another question, should it be possible to spin the supercharger impeller with my fingers when the hose is off?

Oh dear, I have it since a few weeks and it is in need of repair already...
    Most of all the ups and downs of the revs irritate me, hopefully it comes from the oil into the SC.
    Maybe it smoked because it was quite cold when I took it for the ride. The air had 14C and the water 20C...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HSCOOL View Post
    Thanks for the answers!
    Think I will order a new oil seal at the local Sea Doo dealership and replace it. How difficult is it to replace the oil seal and are therefor the same tools required as for the supercharger rebuild?
    Maybe someone has a manual for me?
    Another question, should it be possible to spin the supercharger impeller with my fingers when the hose is off?

Oh dear, I have it since a few weeks and it is in need of repair already...
    Most of all the ups and downs of the revs irritate me, hopefully it comes from the oil into the SC.
    Maybe it smoked because it was quite cold when I took it for the ride. The air had 14C and the water 20C...
    If you get a new seal from the dealer, it will leak again within a few hours if you go back with OEM. You need to get a VITON seal as stated previously. They are made in Germany and exactly what you need. It shouldn't be too hard to find. Good Luck! It's not a terrible fix, just a general knowledge of SC's. The thread above has some useful information for you to read up on.

+1
    Your supercharger seal is not leaking!!!!

Your problem is/was overfilled oil like you mentioned in your first post.
    The engines positive crankcase ventilation system is plumbed into the stock airbox. The supercharger helps evacuate engine vapors as it pulls a vacuum. If you have over filled oil, which you claim you had, then it will pull in an abundance of oil which will be drawn into the engine and burnt off causing smoke. You can verify this by looking into your factory air intake system and noting the oil in it. A leaking supercharger seal will not cause oil to enter the air intake system

With this type of system there will always be some amount of oil present in the supercharger.... this is normal.

It's important that your oil not be over filled.

Also, going with an after market air intake such as the Fizzle and running a catch can will eliminate this problem completely

7. +1 by:

+1
    If you can spin the supercharger around and around with your finger then you have lose the ceramic clutch washers. The supercharger will need a full rebuild.
    you will also need to remove your engine and replace the front oil pump as it will be trashed. You will also need to remove the rear PTO housing and inspect/replace the rear pump if necessary. If the engine has been run for a period of time with the clutch failure then the rear pump will be trashed also. It's important to also inspect every link of the timing chain as they can become damaged from the clutch failure.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    If you get a new seal from the dealer, it will leak again within a few hours if you go back with OEM.
    Not true! This is just a forum myth that you have picked up on

The OEM seals are just fine for stock superchargers. The only time I recommend running the Viton seals is for high boost applications and for skis with after market ECU's capable of higher than stock RPM's.

10. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks a lot Jerry!
    You saved me some money with your advice!

Should I clean the air intake and supercharger (because it looks like there's quite much inside now), or drive and wait until the oil is gone?
    Is there a risk of damaging the engine when you run it with too much oil?
    I'm considering to buy the Fizzle air intake How much is the shipping to Germany?

+1
    Thanks a lot Jerry!
    You saved me some money with your advice!

Should I clean the air intake and supercharger (because it looks like there's quite much inside now), or drive and wait until the oil is gone?
    Is there a risk of damaging the engine when you run it with too much oil?
    I'm considering to buy the Fizzle air intake How much is the shipping to Germany?

Yes clean it out as best as you can and make sure your engine is not over filled with oil.

The proper way to check the oil is with a hot engine. Let it idle for 30 seconds, shut it off and wait 30 seconds. Check the oil. You want it to be about 3/4 up between the two bends on the stick. Any higher than that and it's over filled.

Don't forget you will also need the catch can with the fizzle air intake kit. You can email the forums online store at [email protected] for shipping estimates.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information