carb/throttle actuator

Sorry for the title, its a lack for a better term. Anyways, while inspecting my oil lines this afternoon to check on their condition i noticed i'm missing a nut on the carb actuator (again lack for better term), where the throttle cables connect and open and shut the butterfly's in the carb. So like an idiot i slide the actuator up off the stud for better access to try and see what size nut I could use and now i cannot get it even close to going back over the stud. I tried to pull it towards it with a little force and its not budging. I dont even know how the hell i took it off if it was that tight, honestly it damn near slid right off the stud. What do I do now?

+1
    What ski are you working on? Can you get a pic of what part you are talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    What ski are you working on? Can you get a pic of what part you are talking about?
    Sorry, I keep forgetting to put that.
    01 gp1200r, its where the oil pump cable and throttle cable meet on top of the carbs towards the front of them.

+1
    I bet when you took the linkage off you accidentally let the oil line retract too far. The arm on the oil pump is spring loaded so it goes to fully open if there is an oil cable failure. The pump is located on the front of the engine facing toward the front of the ski. The only way I was able to fix this mistake on my XLT was to remove the exhaust components until I could gain access to the oil pump and flip the lever around 180 with my hand and reattach the throttle and oil linkage to the carbs. Then I had to fix a mirror onto a small pole so I could line up the oil pump markings on the pump arm and case. You use the screw end of the cable to make any fine adjustments...This was kinda a pain in the ass. Someone may have a shortcut for you but this is how I did it....Good Luck!

Find the section about adjusting the oil pump in the manual below. That is what I used to help me adjust the arm for the correct amount of oil during idle and should be similar to yours.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/s...-04-01_360.pdf

well the oil pump cable is jammed, that's why it wont give me enough slack to re-install it. what the crap do i do now? I have the exhaust off and can see the cable going into the pump but its jammed on the inside somehow. damn it this is getting annoying, every weekend its something new.

+1
    It's ok...My motor just let go today on my lift... : / 175 hours...eh not bad.

Try reaching down and moving the oil pump arm with your hand. it should spin around and give the cable the slack you need to reattach it.

Thanks Nick,
    i have a bad habit of not stopping until I fix the problem. Worked on the damn thing for 5 hours Saturday in the blistering heat (got the sun burn to prove it lol) but finally got it wrapped up then hit the water and all seems fine. Didn't ride much Saturday but we rode the piss out of it yesterday. Little over a full tank. I just bit the bullet and ripped the exhaust off, reached down and grabbed the cable, slid it back onto the rotating arm and quickly bolted the one back onto the carb. A lot of work to actually perform the 10 second fix. I didn't however check the marks on the oil pump and I was a little worried about it but it was fine all weekend so I'm assuming i'm in the clear. Also put some new, larger zip ties on the oil lines into the carbs with a dab of super glue on the nipples and around the ends of the lines after they were on and tight for a little extra insurance. Hopefully they stay, super glue is some potent stuff. I didn't realize the lines were so small or I would have went and bought some stainless steel clamps.

+1
    Glad you got it worked out. If you did not turn the cable adjustment screws on the throttle/oil wheel during this whole ordeal, then you should be good.

Thread Information